Tony’s Blandford build log [COMPLETED BUILD]

Great job so far, Tony! She looks great.

One detail you can add is the inboard sweep port openings. Not in the plans, but they were there! You can't get tools near the lower deck bulwarks once the main deck is framed.

Hi Tony!

The sweep ports are openings in the bulwark through which oars can be passed to row the ship if is becalmed. Not a job I'd volunteer for! They're located just above the wales. Inboard, they are simply rectangular holes. Outboard, on Blandford they are doors with a "horseshoe" shaped hinge right above the wales.

sweeps.jpg

Hi Tony!

The sweep ports are openings in the bulwark through which oars can be passed to row the ship if is becalmed. Not a job I'd volunteer for! They're located just above the wales. Inboard, they are simply rectangular holes. Outboard, on Blandford they are doors with a "horseshoe" shaped hinge right above the wales.

View attachment 287518
Hi Doc, I wouldn't want to be wrong the garbage door is nothing but air circulation (air intake)even at the time of situzini oars are 1643576890586.png

Hi Tony!

View attachment 287518
Ok thanks. I’ll look into them. Did you include them on yours ? I’ll take a look how you did it. I do remember seeing those hinges before. Maybe it was yours.

The sweep port doors are shown on the exterior planking drawing in part 6.

Dear Tony
you are doing wonderful work, no doubt that I will I will thoroughly study your and Doc's blogs, before I go on to build this beautiful model.Okay:)Thumbsup

Progress. I’m going to do the sweep ports Doc but just the doors, didn’t want to try to figure out where they’d be inside. Lazy
Managed to after many tests and trial and error to get the bitts and pillars finally in place. I sure hope there’s nothing I forgot on the lower deck that can’t be added later. The tubing is for alignment only. I’ll add the brass cranks which I pre bent, the straight shafts and the aluminum tubing crank ends next.

629226A4-710F-4DEF-BA83-7E060464AC1C.jpeg

EA844938-80A4-4D7F-BECF-33F07A0FF8FB.jpeg

47DC1898-460A-4BD7-976D-1A9FA5C3E852.jpeg

13C28CA7-DD9C-4BB7-AC5B-444CDEF50962.jpeg

Progress. I’m going to do the sweep ports Doc but just the doors, didn’t want to try to figure out where they’d be inside. Lazy
Managed to after many tests and trial and error to get the bitts and pillars finally in place. I sure hope there’s nothing I forgot on the lower deck that can’t be added later. The tubing is for alignment only. I’ll add the brass cranks which I pre bent, the straight shafts and the aluminum tubing crank ends next.

View attachment 288003

View attachment 288004

View attachment 288005

View attachment 288006
The chain pump sprocket covers and cistern are present, but you forgot to install the downpipes and up pipes that extend down into the bilge. You can't pump water without them. You could glue in some blocks of wood to represent them.

1644606843149.png

Back