Tony’s Blandford build log [COMPLETED BUILD]

I managed to cut out all the frame parts and have one frame pre sanded ready to glue up. I used rubber cement for the paper to frame and it worked great. I’m going to pre sand the rest of the parts in the next week then glue them all up at once. Then I’ll final sand to form. I’m fitting the keel with a test piece now too before any assembly takes place.

CC76D203-E1AA-4825-9E9E-8D8854C17C59.jpeg63ED8381-7BC7-49C0-8D5F-F5CFFC93A992.jpegBF62036D-4DE9-4191-AD17-0DEE25D4593D.jpeg

Many thanks for starting a build log. It is great to know that members continue an interest in this beautiful crosssection. I am the one who will definitely be watching. Yay!

Many thanks for starting a build log. It is great to know that members continue an interest in this beautiful crosssection. I am the one who will definitely be watching. Yay!
Thanks, yes it’s a great project and when done will be my first wooden ship build completed. I’m pouring over the build logs to get all the info I can.

I will follow your log with big interest - your work is also looking very good Thumbsup

Welcome to the group build, your jig looks well made. Have fun with the build.

Mike

Thanks all. I’m enjoying it but I feel this is the easy part. Rainy here today so I managed to sand all the frame parts. Not sure if I have a bowl of success or a bowl of frustration here but everything so far has gone without a hitch. I’ll work on the keel next and try to figure out how I’ll cut the notches. I’ll be referring to the previous logs daily for more info.

EF1F72EF-465E-4BB7-A895-FF409E2951DD.jpegA837C5F6-42D9-40A5-A15E-6E1BB77E1D43.jpeg

The frame parts look good, I see you are using beech wood good choice. Looking forward to seeing the frames assembled.

Mike

The frame parts look good, I see you are using beech wood good choice. Looking forward to seeing
Thanks Mike, Yea I’ll use beech for the main framing. Where the Maple and Cherry will go remains to be seen. Thanks for doing all the hard work for us on this project.

What’s the consensus on frame bolts ? They were iron I think ? What’s best to use to simulate iron ?

I used steel sewing pins on my Alert build when you heat them with torch it gives a nice blueshhsh color. Blackening brass and copper are great alternatives, widely available in many different sizes (gauges)

I used steel sewing pins on my Alert build when you heat them with torch it gives a nice blueshhsh color. Blackening brass and copper are great alternatives, widely available in many different sizes (gauges)
Yes ok thanks, I have brass, steel and copper here. I’ll test blackening it.

Some of the guys used toothpicks soaked in black stain or ink to simulate bolts with good results.

Some of the guys used toothpicks soaked in black stain or ink to simulate bolts with good results.
Yes thinking about that too. I’m thinking the bolts stood proud of the timbers maybe. There would be no reason to countersink frame bolts if in fact they were threaded bolts. The AOTS book just shows bolts of a non determined type but I haven’t really looked in depth yet. Many of the logs either don’t show how the frame bolts were done or maybe they weren’t done at all ?

Might I suggest getting quart or larger size zip lock bags for your frame storage.

Parts can pop loose from rubber bands easy and after sanding you loose the identity of each frame.

Having each frame stored in a bag, big enough to store flat helps a lot.

Back