Tony’s Blandford build log [COMPLETED BUILD]

Chain pump done. I’m at a crossroads with the Elm tree pumps. Do they in fact go through all the levels ?? I haven’t seen pics in the logs of this really. What’s the consensus ? Did you guys make them full length and also the chain pumps did any of you build the below deck parts ? Finally got the hold planked. Ready to start on the lower deck parts, I think.

View attachment 246081View attachment 246082View attachment 246083View attachment 246084View attachment 246085View attachment 246086View attachment 246087
wonderful work, well done Thumbsup :)

Nice job, Tony!

I didn't extend the elm tree pumps through the lower deck into the bilge because the lower part can't be seen unless you leave off a wall on the well. Same for the four chain pump casings. All terminate at the planking of the lower deck. There was a build log that is now dormant in which the builder did leave one wall of the well open and constructed the lower "works " of the chain pumps and the ends of the elm tree pumps. Lots of work but a fabulous detail! Too bad we can't access it!

Thanks Uwe. Starting the lower deck. Going to file and fit every piece before I try to fit it into the hull. Can this piece be build outside the hull or parts of it then inserted ? I don’t think so but what say you guys ??

Attachments

• 4CCB7F9B-D430-414B-9590-119FBF94DFF5.jpeg
    4CCB7F9B-D430-414B-9590-119FBF94DFF5.jpeg
    240 KB · Views: 15
  • 4CE20BCB-6A35-4E85-BD82-FAA16F945A07.jpeg
    4CE20BCB-6A35-4E85-BD82-FAA16F945A07.jpeg
    264.2 KB · Views: 15
Hi Tony, you will get a better fit if you build the deck in place on the model one piece at a time, it is easier to fix small problems as you progress then trial fitting and reworking the whole deck to make it fit.

That is just my opinion, if everything is perfect, it would be faster to build the decks on the bench, then insert them in the model.

Hi Tony, you will get a better fit if you build the deck in place
Hi Tony, you will get a better fit if you build the deck in place on the model one piece at a time, it is easier to fix small problems as you progress then trial fitting and reworking the whole deck to make it fit.

That is just my opinion, if everything is perfect, it would be faster to build the decks on the bench, then insert them in the model.
ok Mike thanks yes, I’ll do my filing and pre fit everything on the bench then do it in situ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question for you guys. What do the different types of dashed lines on these knees indicate ? I see they all have to have a rabbet cut to sit down on the deck clamps. You can see I didn’t know the hanging knees were the parts on the plans in the parts I have laid out. I made new ones yesterday. I’m sure others have ran into that mistake. Thanks

Attachments

• 331E9478-F8CF-4D98-A7F7-8D40D1710123.jpeg
    331E9478-F8CF-4D98-A7F7-8D40D1710123.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 5
  • BC197BB8-DC96-4AA4-8BBE-927FB733E18C.jpeg
    BC197BB8-DC96-4AA4-8BBE-927FB733E18C.jpeg
    264.2 KB · Views: 5
I guess you mean these lines?
331E9478-F8CF-4D98-A7F7-8D40D1710123.jpeg

Due to the different angle where the beams are connected with the frames you have to adjust along the length of these knees.
To make it more clear I am using Donnies finished section model and marked the cross sections of these knees
final-04.jpg

I hope it is clear, what I want to explain

Hi Tony, Uwe is correct the deck beams are beveled to match the curvature of the hull and the deck knees require the same bevel as shown by the cross-section drawing.

Attachments

• Blandford_Hold-Plan_Index_48.pdf
    235 KB · Views: 21
Yes I see it. Is the knee cut into the beam or is the knee cut out for the beam ? The knees are cut to match the inside of the frames correct ? Also the knees are not curved like the beams ?

Yes LD 1 and 4 have different lines. Yes I see it. Is the knee cut into the beam or is the knee cut out for the beam ? The knees are cut to match the inside of the frames correct ?

The knees are glued to the sides of the beam and are shaped to match the inside of the frames at the hull.

The knees are glued to the sides of the beam and are shaped to match the inside of the frames at the hull.
Yes Mike but as the beams are notched to fit the deck clamps so should the knees correct ? Of the knee is laid on the deck clamp it sits above the beam. This is what I have now of course the hanging knees have to be turned upside down in the hull. Am I correct with my layout ? Thanks

Attachments

• C45E146D-349B-4035-B260-1516084751E5.jpeg
    C45E146D-349B-4035-B260-1516084751E5.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 7
Yes, Tony your layout is correct as shown in your photo from the viewpoint of the bottom of the hold looking up. Your preplanning will save you a lot of rework time on the model keep up the good work.

Yes, Tony your layout is correct as shown in your photo from the viewpoint of the bottom of the hold looking up. Your preplanning will save you a lot of rework time on the model keep up the good work.
Now Im really confused Mike ! I though all deck and framing plans are looking down ? ! Thanks

Once again you are correct the plans are all looking down with the hanging knees pointed down, but your photo shows the hanging knees pointed up which is what you would see if you were standing in the hold looking up.

Sorry about the confusion I hope this helps clarify my previous post.

Not totally happy with my joinery but as Mike says in the instructions this is practice for the upper deck. It’ll be ok as it'll get partially planked maybe and it’s not very visible. Quite a project this. Not sure exactly how to assemble it. In the hull or out. It’ll probably be a mixture of both. I could go in and replace parts like I did in the lower third but I’m good as is for this build which is a total learning project for me.

370DA483-6069-4EFE-A421-C62C4A7EAFB9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good Thumbsup
For me it is usually the best way to install and assemble this inside the frames / hull.
Starting with fixing of one outer beam (axis 1 or 9) and assembling step by step the next beam with carlings etc. - with this way you can adjust where every necessary to reduce as much as possible the open joints, here also you can take care about the correct location of the beams etc.
But this is how it is working best for me......

Back