Took a 40 year break... back again.

I was 15, had a wonderful model boat to build bein an avid builder of models in my youth...
I joined up, went to military college, went university, got married, had 3 boys and 2 grandkids....
Travelled over the world, built some of the worlds most silly and spectacular rockets for TV and Film. (Links available) Smuggler of explosives once. Not reccomended. But I was a little crazy back in the day.
Got divorced, more rockets, went into a Physc ward, and here I am!

Not dribbling.

And now and I NEEEED to get myself back into the peacefull and rewarding hobby of boat building.
Internet wasnt a thing back in that day less sharing experience and techniques. This is why I am here.

AVID reader of preiod 'Easy to read 26+ book volumes); Patrick O'Brian, Dudley Pope, C.S. Forrester and Julian Stockwin and also Bernard Cornwell.
The napoleonic times of sail grip me.

Appied for the Royal Navy 'tif scheme, but the Air Force got there first. But I do mnow what a rabbet is and a scarfed joint.

Dad served in the Royal Navy in WW2.... always wanted to follow him. I ended up on a bomber Squadron!

So here I am.

Starting at the bottom rung with OcCre's HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat on it's inspired journey for the Dutch Indies having been seet adrift by My Fletcher Christian in the Pacific.
As for me need to keep occupied and of a level mental state. My head can be a bit lost in the orlop drooling and dribbling.

Used to be pretty good at modelling as a teenager; the wooden boats had.,....class and history!!!
Here goes take 2 Four decades later

LIterally only just started it. I have the keel and ribs stained.
Looking to soak up advice and techniques from you chaps and take it from there!

Take them bigger and better!

Nice to meet you all

Damian

Welcome aboard SOS.

Returning to this hobby is not an uncommon story, but perhaps the rest of your story is not as common.

Modelling is a therapeutic pastime, but can cause stress too.

We look forward to you posting a build log and you will find the community of builders here to be friendly and helpful.

Welcome home.

??Gutsy Fungus??

I was 15, had a wonderful model boat to build bein an avid builder of models in my youth...
I joined up, went to military college, went university, got married, had 3 boys and 2 grandkids....
Travelled over the world, built some of the worlds most silly and spectacular rockets for TV and Film. (Links available) Smuggler of explosives once. Not reccomended. But I was a little crazy back in the day.

Not dribbling.

And now and I NEEEED to get myself back into the peacefull and rewarding hobby of boat building.
Internet wasnt a thing back in that day less sharing experience and techniques. This is why I am here.

AVID reader of preiod 'Easy to read 26+ book volumes); Patrick O'Brian, Dudley Pope, C.S. Forrester and Julian Stockwin and also Bernard Cornwell.

Appied for the Royal Navy 'tif scheme, but the Air Force got there first. But I do mnow what a rabbet is and a scarfed joint.

Dad served in the Royal Navy in WW2.... always wanted to follow him. I ended up on a bomber Squadron!

So here I am.

Starting at the bottom rung with OcCre's HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat on it's inspired journey for the Dutch Indies having been seet adrift by My Fletcher Christian in the Pacific.
As for me need to keep occupied and of a level mental state. My head can be a bit lost in the orlop drooling and dribbling.

Used to be pretty good at modelling as a teenager; the wooden boats had.,....class and history!!!

Nice to meet you all

Damian
Hallo Damian alias @Gutsy_Fungus
first of all a warm welcome here on board of our forum,
and also all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Not dribbling.

So here I am.

Nice to meet you all

Damian
That's great to hear about returning modelers! I did this kind of introduction last year, after 33 years pause. And I honestly wish you feel the same joy as me returning back to hobby. Have a good modeling year!

Damian,

I too took a long (30-year break) to raise two young ladies. I resumed when COVID hit and finally completed a build that I had started in the 1980s!

It's a great hobby and these forums are full of helpful people who provide advice, tips and encouragement.

Welcome back and enjoy your own little shipyard!

Brad

Back