Tools for cutting various woods

Pwh

What is the best method for cutting parts from sheets such as plywood and the other various types of wood? I've tried various saws (coping,razor and keyhole) but still struggle with getting clean cuts. Thanks

from my experience with cutting wood is the blade you use. I can rip through 6 1/2 inches of hardwood on my band saw, if I use say a 4TPI it will cut very slow but a clean cut, if I use a 2TPI it cuts much fasted but chews through the wood and leaves a ragged cut.

on my small scroll saws or band saw using 3TPI blade will splinter plywood so you have to use a blade with 6 to 8 TPI this gives a smooth splinter free cut but the thicker the material the slower the cut will be. So the more teeth per inch the finer the cut. The offset of the teeth also play a part in how smooth the cut will be along with the type of tooth I use what is called a claw tooth and it will grab into the wood and really chew its way through but the cut is rough.

it is not the type of saw your using but rather the type of blade

Last edited:
I've tried various blades with some success. I also wonder if the problem is due to the fact that the kit I'm working on Scottish Maid (AL) is well over 10 years old. I wonder if the wood has gone dry and brittle over the years.

I've tried various blades with some success. I also wonder if the problem is due to the fact that the kit I'm working on Scottish Maid (AL) is well over 10 years old. I wonder if the wood has gone dry and brittle over the years.
this may very well be an issue, dried out wood does become brittle and will tend to splitnter.

Score the cut line with a sharp blade before cutting this will prevent splintering onto the part. In critical areas, cut a fraction outside the cut line and sand to the desired tolerance. As said above use the finest tooth count for what it is you are cutting.

Depending on the thickness of the ply, I use different tools from knives to hand saws to power tools. For thicker ply I use a small electric jigsaw and I agree totally with Dave above about blades and speed. Also, depending on the situation and the thickness and quality of the ply, sometimes you can put a coat of clear varnish on the piece which (may) reduce splintering.

Back