Tools I will need to begin 1st model kit

I'm trying to acquire the basic tools I will need to start a beginner level wooden model ship, and would appreciate some advice. I am new to the hobby and the website but am glad to be here.

Hi Henry and welcome to the forum.
Some "basic" tools you would need are a range of scalpel type knives like Xacto, straight edges and curved. A sanding block with about four different grades of sandpaper, tweezers - straight and bent/curved, left or right handed (only kidding), long nosed pliers, side cutters and a pinvice for small drill bits.
Glues - CA, Titebond and PVA.

Regards
Eric

I will continue this reply soon.

There are several sizes of clothes pins that will help hold items in place. Rubber bands work good also. A cutting pad to protect the work area. 90 degree measuring square in small size like x-acto sells.

This list is taken off of my original main site:

Here is a basic list of tools below both hand and power tools. This list is basic and gives the modeler some ideas. Bold items are what I consider a must. It also depends on what "stage" or "phase" you are in the building process.

For instance, you will be starting with the Frame and Hull:
Therefore decent 6" mini bar clamps are needed, Wood Glue, Mini-Anvils as weights, Machinist Squares, Sand paper and files for fairing the hull.
You will need a "Building Board" that will hold your frame and model for a fairly long period of time to keep it stable.

Then the Deck and Deck Furniture:
Sand Paper, Xacto knife, Tweezers, Calipers, Small Steel ruler 6", Pinvise and small drills (very small), diamond needle files set, CA Glue, etc

Then the mast and yards:
Small Hand Plane for tapering mast yards, tweezers, scissors, Pinvise, 0 setup centering ruler. Exacto knife. If you have a lathe that is great as you can taper your yards, Sewing Needles that have the eye for sails, etc.

Then Rigging:
Tweezers, beeswax, hemostats, scissors, etc.

The above is not definitive, but a start.

6" Ratchet Bar Clamp/Spreader
6-pc. Mini Spring Clamp Set
Model Makers Hemostat Set
Hull Planking Clamp set
Alligator Clamps, Insulated, With 1/2" Jaws
Vises of various sizes.
Mechanical Pencils
Colored Pencils
Highlighters
Digital Caliper
Stainless Steel ruler
Ruler with 0 center marking
Solid Steel Jewelers Block
Drill Bit set from .1mm to 2mm
Drill Bit set from 1/16" to 1/4"

Exacto Knife set with #5 handle
Clamp on Magnifying lamp with Fluorescent bulb
Metal Triangle
3" Machinist Square
6" Machinist Square

Variable Speed Rotary cordless tool
Rotary tool assortment
Bees Wax
Picks and probes
mini plier set, cutter, nippers, long nose pliers
Mini Hand Plane
Tweezer set
Midwest Miter Box with Saw
Pin Vise
Mandrels
Hobby Hammer
Paint brush set
Diamond Needle file set
Sandpaper
Very small scissors
Wood Glue
Cynoacrylate (CA) glue
Epoxy
Assorted sizes of wood dowels, small planks to make jigs and fixtures.
Good Point and Shoot Camera
Photo Shot Box
Disk Sander
Disk grinder-buffer
Mini Drill Press
Scroll Saw
Band Saw
Mini table saw
Lathe

Thanks Donnie, I was going to get there with something close to your list but breakfast and lunch and mowing etc. got in the way. We had 35C and a huge storm and now we are waiting for storm number 2 to get to us.
Henry I won't continue with my list as Donnie has filled it in.
Regards
Eric

I have been building models for decades and use books (various sizes) instead of mini anvils for weights. I do not use a hand plane, hull planking clamp, photo shot box, band saw, mini table saw. With the way models have advance, I almost never use a scroll saw. I bought a cheap lathe ($100) to turn mast, etc less than 2 years ago, but still prefer using a 1/2 inch powder drill for masts.
When you are beginning a hobby, look for the minimum items necessary to get started. You can add on to this over time.
Once you know that this is your lifetime hobby, add what ever tools you need. As your skill increases, and usually your desire to build better models, then good tools become necessary. Building a good shop cost a lot of money but is not hard if you do it over time.

Hi Henry, and welcome. I agree with Gary in that you should start with what you need and then build up. Looking forward there will be a need for different things as the build progresses and Donnie's list is a good guide. Remember that Christmas is coming and things like tweezer sets and dental picks (for rigging) are great ideas which the family will be grateful for. My immediate advice is to get a good desk light, preferably two (on left and right, so no shadow) and I myself use a pair of Kingavon natural light lamps and they are great - a lot easier on the eyes. Good luck with your build and I hope you keep us posted. Regards.

None of these items of mine I started out with. It grew in time.

All of which is correct. This is why I broke it all down and listed as the first thing:
For instance, you will be starting with the Frame:
Therefore decent 6" mini bar clamps are needed, Wood Glue, weights, Machinist Squares, Sand paper and files for fairing the hull.
You will need a "Building Board" that will hold your frame and model for a fairly long period of time to keep it stable.
It is obvious that you can get a very inexpensive Point and Shoot camera that has an Automatic Macro Mode so we can see the progress !! :handgestures-thumbup:
Actually, I had a very cheap SONY P & S camera about $70 that I used in the shop and yes, it got all dirty and messy from taking those quick shots and putting it to the side. I wasn't worried about it because I had it set in the menu that the camera would time out in about 30 seconds. The shutter would close automatically and shut down so that dust would not get into lens. It actually for whatever reason took better pictures than my expensive Canon T3i.
FYI :: For what ever it is worth.

Donnie

Back