Tools

One of the perks of taking up ship modelling is the excuse to buy new tools
Over the decades I have saturrated my requirenents for general woodworking/DIY tools.
Now I have a new (and relatively inexpensive) field to plunder.
I thought I might pass on my (personal) verdict on some of my buyings.
In the first picture below I have laid out some of the tools that I find particularly useful.
The odd looking piece of dowel is a home-made device. I have glued velcro to the little block at the end
to which I can add a small piece of sandpaper from my electric sander. This is useful for scrubbing the decks. and sanding
in odd corners.
To this collection could be added existing tools from my garage: files, block planes, chisels, Dremel.
On the other hand...
The second picture shows those items that were not particularly useful.
The rubber tips soon fell off the bar clamps and anyway, they do not seem to work on anything other than parallel surfaces.
The rigging rools don't seem to do anything that can't be done better with tweezers.
I found that a mome-made jig was much better than the bought rigging frame
I did buy a set of scalpel type modelling knives but found these not up to the job of cutting hardwood strips.
It was a nice set but probably better suited to cutting balsa or card. I have passed it to a grandson.
My ancient 'Stanley' knife is a viable substitute.
useful.jpg
unuseful.jpg

Nice set to get a good start. Micro Mark has this “thing” that is part hemostat and part tweezer jaw that comes I think in two or three lengths. The tip has little “jaws” that grip while the handle end is what you grip. This is the best for rigging.

Collecting modeling tools can develop into a side hobby quickly. I find the odd tool and get it just for fun. I have dozens of mini tools that I have never used or used maybe once or twice...they sit in my hobby box...my “collection.” Some tools or jigs I got thinking they would actually be helpful. Most not so much. They sit in my hobby box collection. But many tools have turned out to be very useful...those are scattered around the shipyard within hands reach...fun stuff!

Collecting modeling tools can develop into a side hobby quickly. I find the odd tool and get it just for fun. I have dozens of mini tools that I have never used or used maybe once or twice...they sit in my hobby box...my “collection.” Some tools or jigs I got thinking they would actually be helpful. Most not so much. They sit in my hobby box collection. But many tools have turned out to be very useful...those are scattered around the shipyard within hands reach...fun stuff!
True! And browsing the old tool stands when your partner drags you to a community market is a great way to pass the time (and usually get away with spending money on "yet another" tool!)

Nice set to get a good start. Micro Mark has this “thing” that is part hemostat and part tweezer jaw that comes I think in two or three lengths. The tip has little “jaws” that grip while the handle end is what you grip. This is the best for rigging.

Thanks for this suggestion. Have ordered 5.5" from e-bay. £5.75 post free in UK! Didn't know £/$ was that good.

Sometimes keeping them TOO handy makes a pile. Like this. :confused:

uoqFhBf.jpg

EJ

I just ordered and received one of these but the squeeze pressure to activate the alligator scissor is extreme. I have tried oiling and operating it over and over to smooth out the excessive friction. Hopefully enough of this digital exercise while watching some dumb TV western or worse news broadcast will improve the function which I really wanted. PT-2

Sometimes keeping them TOO handy makes a pile. Like this. :confused:

uoqFhBf.jpg

EJ
No fair.. . that table looks like mine on the right hand tool side. I did use some thick foam insulation pieces for "stab-in" holders, for files, small brush handles, dividers' points, etc. . . and plastic ammo cartridge holders with spaced holes for the handles of plyers, snips, and assorted tools that can stand up. Still to many things that need a proper drawer or shelf system. PT-2

Back