Topsail yard braces for a 2-master Topsail Schooner

I'm working on my 3D model of HMS Halifax (1768) and, after referring to various resources here and elsewhere, thought I'd figured out the braces for the topsail yards until I actually modelled them and realised the the fore and main braces were crossing right through each other. Is this a problem? I've highlighted the lines to make them easier to see:
HalifaxWIP12a.png

Here I've zoomed in on the starboard braces so you can see how the lines are threaded through each other. I didn't plan it this way, that's just how they turned out after attaching all the end points. Do I need to reposition/untangle these lines, switch to a different rigging method for one (or both) of the yards, or is this a plausible setup?

HalifaxWIP12b.png

The problem exists whilst the yard is down on the caps. What position would they be in once the yards are raised and the sails set on a beam reach. The braces could be released once they were not needed to set sail and as such wouldn't cause a problem with chaffing as the lines ran over each other. I would be more interested in the direction of their run when fully braced over on either port or starboard tack.

Alex, love the model. Thanks for the clarity on the mysteries of rigging. This same question (and others like it) have occurred to me while rigging models.

Last edited:
Back