Transition from Shell to Skeleton in Ancient Mediterranean Shipt Construction

During my research in preparation to build an Ancient Phoenecian Trade Boat this is a recently found paper with excellent diagrams and photos of the underwater wrecks recovery and analysis. It presents the evolution of hull construction from the very ancient shell hull with planks secured with mortise and tenons through lacing and then the beginning of the skeleton frames place inside of the shell to the later frames first upon which the planks were secured.
This PDF is an excellent presentation for those interested in such historical issues. The PDF should open for reading upon clicking it which will take some time to download. Rich (PT-2)

Attachments

• Transition_from_Shell_to_Skeleton_in_Anc (1).pdf
    18.9 MB · Views: 76
During my research in preparation to build an Ancient Phoenecian Trade Boat this is a recently found paper with excellent diagrams and photos of the underwater wrecks recovery and analysis. It presents the evolution of hull construction from the very ancient shell hull with planks secured with mortise and tenons through lacing and then the beginning of the skeleton frames place inside of the shell to the later frames first upon which the planks were secured.
This PDF is an excellent presentation for those interested in such historical issues. The PDF should open for reading upon clicking it which will take some time to download. Rich (PT-2)
Now that I received a downloadable zip file in TIF format, and after working for a method to open and print it out I have a 8/5x11 inch single sheet "Plan" noted as 1:00 for a scale that has no given units of mensuration. I took it to a print shop to have that sheet size doubled for a size to draw my own interpolated cross offsets along the length to construct a "mold" for bending and securing the strakes edge to edge forming the shell which was the manner of construction. Any interior members were not structural as we think of frames.
8.5 x 11 print with dividers close.jpg
You can see my multiple point dividers which I set at an assumed height of the crewman on the deck at 5.5 ft height, which when applied to the length between the lines resulted in a length of 67 ft.
I then had the 8.5 x 11 sheet printed double size and laid my long engineering scale on it which showed the doubled length which converts to about 20 meters which is on the upper end of recovered ship wrecks in the Eastern Med. primarily off of Turkey which is my area of interest.8.5x11 plan with engineering scale.jpg
Not having CAD I will manually draw additional cross sections to fabricate the additional bulkheads for a mold upon which to lay the strakes secured edge to edge and not to the bulkheads.
After some drawing I will come up with a bill of materials and place an order for some peach which is not correct for this type of ship but will be better visually for the model.
More to follow as it is developed. Rich

This looks interesting! As a side note, your profile pic bears a passing resemblance to DocAttner, whom I thought you were at first glance, but under a different handle. You’re in good company, there!

This looks interesting! As a side note, your profile pic bears a passing resemblance to DocAttner, whom I thought you were at first glance, but under a different handle. You’re in good company, there!
@Hubac's Historian, if you open the pdf above for the research paper you can see the mortise and tenon strakes assembly on edges forming the shell of the hull. I will need to consider at the model scale, when I have established that, how to simulate the treenailed tenons or pass that by as too small to be feasible. My concept now is to glue the strakes together knowing that I would probably not be able to do a M&T process. This will be a slow build as I have to finish my 64 scale BN which I will present in a fishing manner where there are a lot of items on the deck, not present when racing, to be made and installed. Rich

@Hubac's Historian, if you open the pdf above for the research paper you can see the mortise and tenon strakes assembly on edges forming the shell of the hull. I will need to consider at the model scale, when I have established that, how to simulate the treenailed tenons or pass that by as too small to be feasible. My concept now is to glue the strakes together knowing that I would probably not be able to do a M&T process. This will be a slow build as I have to finish my 64 scale BN which I will present in a fishing manner where there are a lot of items on the deck, not present when racing, to be made and installed. Rich
Now to show the beginning work to draft lines onto the copy of the initial sheet twice sized up. Good old drafting tools and parallel slide bar come to the fore.Drafting of Lines for Hull Mold.jpg
You can see in the right lower corner of the sheet the very few hull profile lines provided so I have added 45 and 27.5 degree lines to work with the horizontal hull cut lines in creating new offsets for additional mold bulkheads. Maybe not technically stated but what I need to work out next. Rich

Now to show the beginning work to draft lines onto the copy of the initial sheet twice sized up. Good old drafting tools and parallel slide bar come to the fore.View attachment 254314
You can see in the right lower corner of the sheet the very few hull profile lines provided so I have added 45 and 27.5 degree lines to work with the horizontal hull cut lines in creating new offsets for additional mold bulkheads. Maybe not technically stated but what I need to work out next. Rich
I have been sent a photo of a 4th c BCE Kyrenia, wreck reconstruction interpretation. It has a number of features more related to the research papers that I have, and will probably follow more closely than the hull elevation drawing provided in the plans that I ordered. You can see the differences.
Also, this wreck had lead sheets on the lower hull for protection from shipworms. Interesting added factual detail for construction in those times where commercial shipping and merchandise profitability was related to the expense of a boat and having to replace it for any need such as, wear, shoaling or beaching, or even piracy which is speculated to be present and profitable in the Western Med and elsewhere in that sea as the shipping routes expanded.
Kyrenia Ship model.png
The eyes are a common artifact and in many cases about 14" diameter of marble and scribed for paint with a center lead or copper nail affixing them to the hull.
Rich

Most interesting to me. Exactly my interests. Thank you for the information, which I will follow very closely.

Most interesting to me. Exactly my interests. Thank you for the information, which I will follow very closely.
There was a book previously posted on the bookshelf thread which I bought and highly recommend for the detail and research basis that is presented, as well as a lot of very detailed reconstruction information of the Kyrenia wreck., Wooden Ship Building and the Interpretation of Shipwrecks, J. Richard Steffy. Highly recommended acquisition if you are interested in a generalized inclusion of Bronze Age Eastern Med. seafaring and boats trending up through the Medieval vessels era. This is an excellent book very detailed but readable with a full hold of drawings and diagrams. Rich (PT-2)

There was a book previously posted on the bookshelf thread which I bought and highly recommend for the detail and research basis that is presented, as well as a lot of very detailed reconstruction information of the Kyrenia wreck., Wooden Ship Building and the Interpretation of Shipwrecks, J. Richard Steffy. Highly recommended acquisition if you are interested in a generalized inclusion of Bronze Age Eastern Med. seafaring and boats trending up through the Medieval vessels era. This is an excellent book very detailed but readable with a full hold of drawings and diagrams. Rich (PT-2)
In my posting above, (#1 of Sept. 1) I embedded a pdf leading to the underwater archaeological research paper. Use that which I downloaded from an academic organization titled Academia and you can find up to 39 other related research papers. Academia does not support/work in Internet Explorer so I have to forward the email to me to another computer where the pdf can be opened and printed out. It is amazing to me the broad scope of topics being presented. I have filled a one-inch three ring binder with some of them that were not too lengthy. Another highly detailed/referenced book of rather slow reading from the embedded sources is Seafaring and Seafarers in the Bronze Age Eastern Mediterranean, A. Bernard Knapp. He works through everything that I can think of related to his title. I got a used paperback for a reasonable price through Amazon but prices go from palatable to unreasonable. It is on e of my two current night-time reading on the same general historical focus. It is a good companion to the Steffy book that I posted above. Rich (PT-2)

Back