Transom Standards

Hello All,
From my readings, I have come to believe that the upper part of most transoms were usually supported on the inside (above usually the poop deck) by standards/ inverted knees but after looking at many builds, they seem to be frequently omitted. I have seen a comment that suggests that Continental ships had up to eight transoms (e.g. Chapmans drawings) but British ships had far fewer. Logically, they would have added much to the structural strength of the transom. Were these actually a common feature on ships and if so what time period ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Pete​

My 'problem' Bryian is that I look at a kit build as a starting point and just know there is far more than what is presented. Having said that, any so-called kit has to have limitations.

knee.jpgYesterday I made a query regarding transom inverted knees (or standards). Subsequent to that, I found the above diagram in Peter Goodwin's English Warships 1650 - 1850 (1987, 109) which shows what I was referring to. Their function was to support the upper ends of tall stern timbers of vessels with a square or flat stern as well as supporting the 'tabernacle' - section of timber that housed the foot of the ensign staff. The number of standards added depended on the size of the ship with models indicating two or four being used but that varied as seen in the Ajax of 1767 having three and the Victory of 1765 having five ! Few of the smaller ships had any standards with their shorter timbers not requiring any extra bracing. Goodwin goes on to say that ... "These knees were fashionable from no earlier than 1745 to no later than 1803. It was only in the first 20 years of this period that three knees were used."

So ... a rather unique feature within a small time frame and only on larger ships. Just a small point that interested me.​

Last edited:
Screenshot (72).jpg

I wanted to add an actual photo of the stern transoms I spoke about last week. They are often omitted from models but I managed to find one photo (BBC News image) from HMS Victory showing four transoms - two inner ones rising up either side of the ensign staff and two outer ones, each terminating underneath the taffrail. The two white structures either side would most likely be flag lockers ? The standards usually were cut into at least the last three frames.

{P.S. Anyone able to tell me how to add text around an image when used on this forum ?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, these are the flag lockers, which are covered with a white canvas

Take a look at the old photograph

poop deck Vic.jpg

PS: I do not understand with "add text around a photo"?

Uwek, that's an impressive photo and a reminder that the models we build do not always portray the historical construction.

As regards "add text around a photo", I spend much of my time editing and writing ... but should have used the term "wrap text around a photo". Not a problem but its just that I am used to filling the space alongside a photo. Obviously, there is not that type of format available on this forum program ?

Hello All,
From my readings, I have come to believe that the upper part of most transoms were usually supported on the inside (above usually the poop deck) by standards/ inverted knees but after looking at many builds, they seem to be frequently omitted. I have seen a comment that suggests that Continental ships had up to eight transoms (e.g. Chapmans drawings) but British ships had far fewer. Logically, they would have added much to the structural strength of the transom. Were these actually a common feature on ships and if so what time period ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Pete​
Hallo Pete alias @piratepete007
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back