Trident Model - HMS Alert 1777 All the process [COMPLETED BUILD]

As I mentioned already in an earlier post - I like the presentation in your diorama very much.
It is really great way to show such a model, especially a POF-model. And you are making a real good job here.

It is giving really the impression with such POF model, that the ship is under construction. With nut fully planked hull and partly open deck etc.

But especially than I have two minds about this / I am torn
The modeler wants like you did it also, f.e. showing the guns on the deck, fully rigged, which was never done before launch.
Please do not misunderstood my comment - I do also not know for myself, what would be the best way:
Historical and technical correct <- or -> decorative showing all the details

Irrespective:
A very good build model in a very good diorama presentation Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Thank you very much for everyone's comments. On the issue of how to display the model, I am also very confused, want to show the completion of hull, and wanted to show the internal structure and details of hull, want to let people are watching this model, the appearance and structure of the ship have some basic understanding, so now have this style.
Release the pictures just want to give everybody to provide a train of thought, hope to help everyone's build, make better work.

Many thks Wang, every ship builder will do things differently from following a kit directly, to a bare bones admiralty model, to inbetween, and to "KIT Bashing" to add more than provided and then to your sensational level. We greatly appreciate you showng in great details all the options you added. Without it many things would have been a great challenge for me . Your work had lead to the inclusion of cabin structures not initally provided in the kit and from my opinion add a depth to the kit. You get to see the internal as well as structural essense of the ship, normally not added or seen in these kits.

The addition of the diorama brings everything to life.

Your skills are exemplary.

The modeler wants like you did it also, f.e. showing the guns on the deck, fully rigged, which was never done before launch.
Personally I also like the diorama display very much, hence my question @Uwek : What if the ship has been sailing for some years and was then taken on shore for repair / maintenance of the hull. Would the guns be dismounted first?
In that case maybe the mast should appear to be broken by a hurricane or a canon ball instead of a clean cut? :cool:

To bring a ship onshore for repair, and you do not have a dry-dock, you have to reduce the weight of the vessel as much as possible - means you have to remove yards (also partly the masts), guns, ballast etc.

Usually, if the planking of the hull has to be repaired, the ships were not taken onshore, but "careened"

pw8030.jpg
A view of the Birgu (Vittoriosa) side of the Malta Dockyards, depicting the HMS Hastings being careened, her starboard side of her hull exposed for maintenance and repairs. The viewpoint shown of the Collegiate Church of St Lawrence (left background) in the skyline suggests this scene was based on a view from the eastern side of Senglea. In the left foreground are two men on a rowing boat, beside them a smaller one with a barrel in it. Inscribed ‘H M S Hastings. In Malta Dockyard Decemeber 7 1840’.

pw8039.jpg
The second rate warship ‘Formidable’ is shown being careened at the dockyard in the Grand Harbour at Malta. With the ship’s port underside exposed, dozens of men attend her from floating platforms and nearby boats, some depicted actively cleaning her hull. Several other rowing boats circulate in the still waters of the foreground, whilst behind at dockside activity centres on the base of the halyard holding ‘Formidable’ in place. Behind, more faintly drawn in a suggestion of aerial perspective, are the buildings of Birgu, with St. Lawrence's Church given particular prominence, framed neatly by the stern end of the ship. Inscribed: “H.M.S. Formidable. Malta Dockyard 31 Jany 1843”. Hand-coloured. PAF8040 is a duplicate.

s3376_002.jpg
A paper calotype negative. A view from the dock side looking towards the main and mizzen mast of the Maltese Palacea Brig, hove down at an extreme angle. In the foreground are the tops of barrels. Large blocks can be seen on both masts keeping the ship careened over. The lower yards on both masts have been scandalized (set at an acute angle to the mast). The reverse of the negative has a pencil number 5, which corresponds to the list sent with a letter dated 13 February 1846 by Calvert Jones to WHF Talbot [BL, LA46-26]. It states: '5. Palacea brig. hove down.'

Only to underline once more:
I do not criticize the shown diorama - it is great and a very good way of showing and presenting such a POF-model .... Thanks

Back