Triton Poseidon Cross Section POF Scale 1:48

A

Aussie048

I purchased Triton Cross section sometime ago online that recently arrived.

I decided that I needed a break from planking on a large ship like my USS Constitution and did not want to rush it. As I had seen another build log of Halifax I decide that was a big step but with the Triton Cross Section to learn the process of building a POF.

I have started building the building box for the Triton and started looking at the manual to get a feel of the build procedure.

The cannons in the kit are the best I have seen in a kit, but you will have to wait to see them.

Cheers
Geoff Deck.jpg Cannon.jpg Triton Hull.jpg

A

Aussie048

Hi Brian

It is giving me a good giving an insight into POF. I have dry fattened frame 1 And B so I could check out the jig. To see if it need a bit more rubbings down. I Think it does. It's a bit hard to start of with as the instructions are Chinese

Cheers.
Geoff

Brian077

Don't worry about the instructions mate. Theres plenty of build logs you can look at and you just need the drawings and numbered parts anyway.
I bought some of these rib clamps from the internet which were quite were cheap for holding things in place until the glue sets. TB21NF9XVXXXXa0XpXXXXXXXXXX_!!22670794.jpg_600x600.jpg

A

Aussie048

That is a nice looking jig Brian.

Hi John

Yes it is a bit different to POB jobs. I am enjoying it

Cheers
Geoff

A

Aussie048

I have been quite busy cutting out parts for frames. I have 3 frame glues up worked out there was some errors in the parts list, which slowed me up a bit but when a part has cutout in it and on of the cutouts is going straight into the other frame where a gun port was to go,even I could work out there was a problem. So in total I have identified 4 errors. I have one frames to glue up and currently cutting out frames 5 out of 9.

I make no apologies for my work bench being a disgrace. That is just the way Model Ship Building can be at times.

Cheers
Geoff Triton_7.jpg

zoly99sask

Staff member
Administrative
Blandford Group Build

Good start Geoff,can't wait to see more.

A

Aussie048

Thank Brian and Zoly

I decide I will dry fit all the parts give them a rough sand for all the frames then give then a fine sand before gluing together.

Might take a bit longer but who is in a hurry.

Cheers
Geoff

A

Aussie048

I have been busy cutting out the parts for the frames still.

Currently I am working on frame 8. Most of the frames have had been sanded with a course sandpaper and are just dry fitted. I will dissemble them and sand them with a fine grade paper prior to gluing and pinning, I have not place the false keel in the jig as yet as it will need some work done on it. I will need to stain the frames as the colours of the different timbers varies quite a bit. As yet I have not identied the type of timber used in the frames.

Cheers
Geoff Triton_88.jpg

Mike41

Staff member
Blandford Group Build

Hi Geoff,
You are off to a good start. Cross sections are an excellent way to start plank on frame modeling.
Mike

A

Aussie048

Thank Mike

I think it is the best way to do a POF, something fairly small in a cross section.

Cheers
Geoff

A

Aussie048

There has bee a fair amount of sanding involved so far. I have glued a few of the frames and the rest are dry fitted.
The box is full with the 9 frames.

Cheers
Geoff Triton_9.jpg

lauckstreet

Hi Geoff,

Interesting kit. Is there a photo of what it will look like when finished? The frame construction looks to be historically correct which I really like but that does make the build a little more difficult. Good job on the frames construction so far. I look forward to seeing the kit evolve into a finished model.

Take care,

Bob

A

Aussie048

Bob

Thanks for visiting my build log. I have posted some photos of what Triton should look like at the start of the build log.

I have been admiring your work on SOS an look forward to seeing many more of your builds of exceptional quality.

Cheers
Geoff

lauckstreet

Aussie048 post_id=22271 time=1504993404 user_id=3981 said:
Bob

Thanks for visiting my build log. I have posted some photos of what Triton should look like at the start of the build log.

I have been admiring your work on SOS an look forward to seeing many more of your builds of exceptional quality.

Cheers
Geoff
My bad Geoff. Don't know how I missed those photos. Senior moment perhaps.

I'll post some photos of my Fubbs model soon. I have to reduce the size as most are much too large to upload to the forum

Bob

A

Aussie048

Hi Bob

No, you did not miss them I only included them this morning.

It looks like it will make a stunning model. Just hope I can produce to a standard near of what is in the photos.

Cheers
Geoff

Mike41

Staff member
Blandford Group Build

Hi Geoff,
I like the way the frames are assembled. Could you post a photo of the end view of the frames in the box?
Thanks, Mike

A

Aussie048

Hi Mike

I am only using the box as storage for the frames at the moment to keep them in order.

The fitted the keel in the box yet. The box is that tight a fit I have not glued it at all except for a bottom sheet

Cheers
Geoff Triton_10.jpg