Trotamares 1:43 [COMPLETED BUILD]

This will be my fifth build, I'm not the best at logging my builds but will try to keep up with this time. All but one of my previous builds have been models by Midwest (The Dingy, The Muscongus Lobster Smack, Sharpie Schooner, Boston Whitehall Tender), and Long Boat 18th Century by Model Expo.

I had purchased the Trotmares on eBay last summer 2020 not knowing anything about the build process. The Midwest plans and instructions for the most part are very easy to follow. After opening the Trotmares box and looking at the sheet plans and instructions, I was very overwhelmed.

Almost a year later I have decided to go ahead and build it.20210415_132646.jpg

I then inserted the middle deck. I had a difficult time figuring out how to clamp it down. I ended up using binder clips that are 12" wide. 20210529_140152.jpg

Then the fore and aft decks also presented a clamping issue. For the aft deck I used a a small piece of wood on the underneath side of my keel clamp with Triger clamps.20210529_150447.jpg

Slow progress, running into some issues with planking and spacers.

Following the instructions it says to plank with strips 1.5X5mm and space with0.5mm strips. I glued in place, then as per instructions cut off excess spacers that were above the planks. After cutting off I then proceeded to sand, After sanding I noticed that I had not done a very good job of gluing the spacers. Now there are large gaps where the spacers fell out.
Not sure what to do at this point. As you can see I haven't made much progress.

Photo #1 shows the spacers and planks glued
Photo #2 shows a spacer with planks
Photo #3 large gaps where the spacers fell out

Not sure what to do at this point?

Photo #1.jpegPhoto #2.jpegPhoto #3.jpeg

Nice log so far.

Two suggestions:
1. Wood filler (plenty of information of it's use documented so I won't bore anyone)
2. Carefull clean out the bad spots with something like a dental pick or mechanic's o-ring pick. Then fit/glue in new spacers.

Personally I would choose option 2, but that's just me.

Glenn

Nice log so far.

Two suggestions:
1. Wood filler (plenty of information of it's use documented so I won't bore anyone)
2. Carefull clean out the bad spots with something like a dental pick or mechanic's o-ring pick. Then fit/glue in new spacers.

Personally I would choose option 2, but that's just me.

Glenn
Thank you for the reply. I like the idea of picking out the bad spots.

Deck planking on the Bow and Stern completed. I found the wood spacers were too fragile kept breaking. I ended up using wood fill instead of using wood fill. I know I cheated by using the filler.

20210924_123339.jpg

First Stern planking finished. Wondering how the second layer of planking will go as the planks in the kit for the planking are made of mahogany they also are splitting. Hopefully after soaking I'll be able to bend to shape.

20211004_121439.jpg

Coming to the end of the planking process. . The kit had been in a small hobby shop that went out of business during the pandemic; he was ready to retiree. Not sure of what type of wood the kit came with (I think its walnut). I found that most of the wood is very brittle. Learning curve has been frustrating at times. I'm mostly happy with my results. I'm planning on clear coating the planks with either shellac of varnish. There are a few gaps in the planking, not sure if I should leave them or fill with wood fill or sawdust fill. Any input would appreciated
Thanks,
David

20211029_135332.jpg20211128_110442.jpg20211201_123821.jpg

I have to admit that I am not good at keeping up with my build log. I'm still wondering what type of wood that was supplied with the kit. I'm thinking it may be walnut. Finished with the planking, still learning.

20211214_114242.jpg

Hello Sparky. Lovely build thus far- your planking came out really well. Are you going to paint , stain or oil the hull? I don’t know much about the Trotamares however she has a great stern ;). Cheers Grant

Hello Sparky. Lovely build thus far- your planking came out really well. Are you going to paint , stain or oil the hull? I don’t know much about the Trotamares however she has a great stern ;). Cheers Grant
Thank you....
I'm really happy with the planking that I did, I decided to clear coat the Trotamares and not follow the traditional paint scheme. Unfortunately I did not take any photos of the clear coat finish before I started on the finish details.

Back