Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck Build [COMPLETED BUILD]

Absolutely beautiful. I have seen the Arizona built but this one is better. Great job. It is amazing how far along plastic has come. the decking and PE really make the ship exceptional and well worth the extra effort it takes to make it authentic looking.
I also agree that painting the brass would destroy the quality and erase the detail you are trying to add.

Thanks Gary. I appreciate your comments. Makes it all worthwhile. Now that the Bismarck is finished, I have decided to do the Missouri. (Masochism reigns.)
Jim

I agree with Gary. Well worth your time to invest in doing this model. Fine Job. I assume, and hope, along with encouraging you to do a build log on the Missouri.

Donnie

I just received the Trumpeter Missouri kit. This one is even more intimidating than when I first saw the Bismarck kit. I am going to make a more complete photographic record of the build, and will post the highlights to the forum. Jim.

This is the one that should be the crowning glory. I saw that Micro-Mark had it for $319.95 and they detail kit for $219.95 and the upgrade for 29.95. With shipping, the kit is almost $600 and 53 inches long. Being longer and costing $100.00 more, she should really be something. Looking foward to seeing this one as it come along.

Hi Gary
The Bismarck came from MicroMark, along with the detail kit that they offered. For the Missouri, I decided to use the Pontos add-on kit. I'm gonna start another post for the Missouri, in the process of taking pictures today.
Jim

that is just an incredible amount of work and detail. This is a model that you surely should be proud of. Can't wait to see what you dive into next.

Donnie

Very nice ship.
My first dive into ship modeling was plastic models I did a model of USS United States the sister ship of USS Constitution. You did a wonderful job. Congrats. :text-coolphotos:
Regards
Mike

Thanks Mike

Plastic modeling is certainly different thank wooden modeling. I have done both.

I enjoy the detail of the plastic ships and the brass detail that are available.

You might also check out my Missouri build (also in the forum). I told Donnie that I would put up a full detailed build of the ship. So far, it's all there.

Thanks again

Jim

Hi Jim, I read on the "FineScale Modeler" site about Trumpeter's kit 1/200 this consideration:
«I started this construction in February 2013 and immediately found the plastic would not accept paint or primer. Strange swirls on the main deck and hull were especially noticeable. Numerous cleanings and mineral-spirit scrubbings ensued until May, when I found Vallejo’s new acrylic-polyurethane surface primer worked. Long-term performance is unknown».
Are these difficulties for you painting too? Which primer did you use? Thanks
Mario

Back