Trumpeter 1/200 Missouri build [COMPLETED BUILD]

And finally, all of the resin parts included in this kit. The second add-on kit has many more resin parts.

Attachments

• 0019@96sos.JPG
    0019@96sos.JPG
    307.2 KB · Views: 93
I have to admit that it is very tempting for me to start one. All those parts seem overwhelming. I guess you have to break things down in order, then it would not seem so big. I guess it would be a nice departure from wood for a while. Maybe a group build forum in order if more become interested. It just means that I would establish a special forum section and all who would be building the Missouri would post within that forum instead of the normal "build log for ships". Just something to think about. Even a special badge could be designed for an avatar for the group. Just a thought to add community to the project.
Donnie

Hi Donnie, long time no see. I have been out of the model making loop for a couple of years building other things, but I decided, after much conversation with Jim about the Missouri, to jump back into the deep end of the pool. I will be following this log with alot of interest and may even post a photo or two along the way.
Joe

Thank you Gary. Have had a few issues to deal with and was building a couple of other things. A 1933 chopped Ford 3 window coupe, and just finishing a 1965 AC Cobra. Back to small stuff for a while.
Joe

Hi Joe. This is a cheaper hobby and does not get you as dirty. Also, doesn't hurt if you drop one of the parts on your lap or foot. Riding along with Jim on this one does not require us to leave the house. You get the idea.

I am not sure if I asked this or not. Are the Brass parts to remain brass and not be painted? I am showing my ignorance on this era of WW ships :sad:

Donnie, I would guess that would be up to the builder. Where as Jim is leaving all of his brass, brass, I am going to be a little more selective. As of now I am planning on using the brass as adornments but when it comes to the 16" guns I am thinking of using the brass guns because of the more detailed casting but priming and painting them to make them more authentic. With wood models, the detail is in the construction where in plastic the details is all in the painting.
Just my opinion anyway,
Joe

Hi All. It's been a while since I posted some progress on the Missouri, but actual progress has been made. I am into the painting of the hull, and have the water line and the lower section of the hull painted. Next is the upper sections, for which I have to mask over the lower section. The airbrushing is coming along and I'll post pictures soon.

Just in case anyone got bored at looking at all the pieces I have to play with, here are the contents of the 2nd add-on kit. This kit primarily contains the pieces for the building of the 40mm Bofors guns. Here is the PE

Attachments

• 0001@96sos.JPG
    0001@96sos.JPG
    338.1 KB · Views: 92
And finally, the brass propellers and some misc pieces. Note that there are two different propeller types - 4 blade and 5 blade. Also, the starboard props turn in one direction while the port props turn opposite.

Attachments

• 0003@96sos.JPG
    0003@96sos.JPG
    251.7 KB · Views: 94
While the hull of the Missouri is waiting for a base to be mounted on, work is progressing on other parts of the ship. The following three pics show the parts of the 20mm Oerlikon deck guns. There are a total of 50 to be built. The third pic shows the cluster on the stern of the main deck.

Attachments

• 0001@96sos.JPG
    0001@96sos.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 144
  • 0003@96.JPG
    0003@96.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 145
  • 0004@96sos.JPG
    0004@96sos.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 153
Wow Jim,this is a totally amazing kit with all the add ons,I thought Hasagawa's Akagi I have in my stash with all the photoetch add ons had a lot of parts.How do you manage to fold the incredibly small details that form boxes?I know about the bending tools you can buy,but surely these are far too small for that?

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel. As I was hunting, I saw on the MicroMark website a pair pf pliers described as surgeons pliers that are used to remove splinters. They come to a very sharp point and have serrated inside surfaces. Small enough to hold and bend the part I'm holding. In addition, all of the fold lines are etched into the part, so the bending is easier.

Back