Trumpeter HMS York 1/350 scale,

It looks as if I have walked the plank from wood built models to plastic, its a long time since I built a plastic model, and just one look in the box and I can see that this one is a lot different to the ones I built long ago, so I may need a little help along the way.

The reason I am building this model is that my Father in law was a crew member on her in the late 1930's till she was sunk in 1941,

ffff.jpg
My Father in law,

thumbnail.jpg
At moorings,

thumbnailhhh.jpg
and underway,

I will post a few more pics of the box and contents later on,

best regards John.

Hi John will be great to see how you go, I have the new trumpeter Bismark & Hood at 1:350 to do. Have not done plastic kits for close to 45 years and got in the lockdown waiting for the Alert to arrive. They are very different from those days. Don't use the old Pastic cement anymore, its now tamiya thin liquid cement that you apply after joining not before.

They sell some very fine tube dispenser with needle tips to apply thin plastic cement. Check in plastic hobby press adds!

Now they call the stuff Solvents to melt ends and joints together!

But of luck on new adventure and good to hear your Father in Law had a safe sail in the war. Guess your wife wouldn’t be here if he hadn’t survived!

Did your father in law survive the sinking of his ship John ? Thats a cool project.
G'day Brian, I meant to say before that he was sunk three times, but when the HMS York was sunk she was in port and settled on the bottom and they used her just as a gun platform for awhile, I'm not sure what the other ships were, he never talked about it much,
Best regards John,

Hi John will be great to see how you go, I have the new trumpeter Bismark & Hood at 1:350 to do. Have not done plastic kits for close to 45 years and got in the lockdown waiting for the Alert to arrive. They are very different from those days. Don't use the old Pastic cement anymore, its now tamiya thin liquid cement that you apply after joining not before.
Thanks Paul, I built the Airfix HMS Hood a long time ago and several others before turning to wood models, I will have to check up on a lot of stuff,
Best regards John,

They sell some very fine tube dispenser with needle tips to apply thin plastic cement. Check in plastic hobby press adds!

Now they call the stuff Solvents to melt ends and joints together!

But of luck on new adventure and good to hear your Father in Law had a safe sail in the war. Guess your wife wouldn’t be here if he hadn’t survived!
Thanks for the info Ken, I will have to take a trip down to the hobby shop and check things out,
Best regards John,

I will follow your "plastic" log with big interest - let us see how it is going with the different material - I am looking forward

Thank you Uwe, it might be a little while yet I have to check a few things out about building her, I have found a wonderful log on line but I have to get in touch and find out if it is OK to follow his log,

best regards john,

I'm trying to find out what the wooden decks are like, they don't tell you much about them on eBay, also the paint masks, if anyone has any information about them it would be appreciated,
Best regards John,
I found this offer with several photos showing the deck parts in detail

HI john I bought one from ebay for the Hood. It is actually wood, very very thin veneer with a sticky background, you put it on like a sticker. There are very nice, but be warned, the moron seller decided to bend mine into 3rds to fit into an envelope for postage. It damaged some of the smaller areas. It should be shipped flat.
The are normally $24 dollars on ebay, or if you want pristine try https://www.bnamodelworld.com/ models in Melb Aus. They are great to deal with and have lots of addons. Be aware that any pe work needs lots of magnification!

Hi John,
Great history and connection to the project.
I think there are people who swear by wooden decks and people who swear by masks. From what I have read is the adhesive sometimes lets go on the wooden deck, both can look great.
Cheers,
Stephen.

I probably should have added to my last post that I have a 1/700 Hasagawa Isl battleship kit that is 1/2 finished and after trying to mask the deck with Tamyia tape and looking at a wooden deck I bought a deck mask, I cannot really comment on it as I haven't used it yet but it looks good.

Back