Tudor shrouds

Can anyone help me regarding early shroud attachment?.
I am building the Mary Rose (1510) for which time few if any records are available to detail the rigging, which was then in the experimental stage. The kit presents the masts joined by caps but history suggests that caps may have been introduced possibly a little later. Earlier ships (15th century certainly and early 16th century possibly) had the masts attached together by binding the upper masts tight to the lower masts, sometimes using a 'garland' which was a metal band, and this is the version I have decided to adopt. But, for this system there was no gap between the masts as there would be using a cap
In such circumstances how were the shrouds fitted? Normally they loop around the lower mast head. This enabled masts to be removed without disturbing the shrouds. But with the masts bound together and in contact with each other, presumably the shrouds were looped around both masts. However I have found no support of this in any literature I have read and models of the era usually show them attached using caps.
Interestingly I found an article on Columbus ship, the Santa Maria, which was built mid 15th century and for which several replicas have been made. The article gave a drawing showing the masts lashed tight together but then also gave a drawing showing the shrouds looped around only the main mast, with the top mast not included. Conflicting and confusing.
Can anyone shed more light on this please?

Thanks for your input Uwek

I have a copy of the 'Anatomy' book and I am applying a lot of it to my build. Unfortunately, despite providing some considerable details of so many of the fittings, it does not actually show the connection detail of the masts. It does mention that caps were introduced later which suggests the masts were lashed together. It also mentions the garlands and their role as suggested from several sources.

The museum pictures of the model I have also, but they are not conclusive. As far as can be seen the masts appear to be lashed together but also indicate a possible slight gap between them, with the shrouds clearly looped only around the lower mast head. How far the upper mast extends down the lower mast head is not clear.

I have finally come to the conclusion that I will lash the masts together but with no gap. I will first loop the shrouds around the lower mast head and then lash the upper masts to the masthead, but set above the lower shroud loops. I have sufficient masthead to do this and it seems a reasonable compromise. And, in view of the paucity of this sort of detail for that era, it could even be argued that this actually was the method of attachment. Unless anybody has more info....

Thanks for your input Uwek

I have a copy of the 'Anatomy' book and I am applying a lot of it to my build. Unfortunately, despite providing some considerable details of so many of the fittings, it does not actually show the connection detail of the masts. It does mention that caps were introduced later which suggests the masts were lashed together. It also mentions the garlands and their role as suggested from several sources.

The museum pictures of the model I have also, but they are not conclusive. As far as can be seen the masts appear to be lashed together but also indicate a possible slight gap between them, with the shrouds clearly looped only around the lower mast head. How far the upper mast extends down the lower mast head is not clear.

I have finally come to the conclusion that I will lash the masts together but with no gap. I will first loop the shrouds around the lower mast head and then lash the upper masts to the masthead, but set above the lower shroud loops. I have sufficient masthead to do this and it seems a reasonable compromise. And, in view of the paucity of this sort of detail for that era, it could even be argued that this actually was the method of attachment. Unless anybody has more info....

Can anyone help me regarding early shroud attachment?.
I am building the Mary Rose (1510) for which time few if any records are available to detail the rigging, which was then in the experimental stage. The kit presents the masts joined by caps but history suggests that caps may have been introduced possibly a little later. Earlier ships (15th century certainly and early 16th century possibly) had the masts attached together by binding the upper masts tight to the lower masts, sometimes using a 'garland' which was a metal band, and this is the version I have decided to adopt. But, for this system there was no gap between the masts as there would be using a cap
In such circumstances how were the shrouds fitted? Normally they loop around the lower mast head. This enabled masts to be removed without disturbing the shrouds. But with the masts bound together and in contact with each other, presumably the shrouds were looped around both masts. However I have found no support of this in any literature I have read and models of the era usually show them attached using caps.
Interestingly I found an article on Columbus ship, the Santa Maria, which was built mid 15th century and for which several replicas have been made. The article gave a drawing showing the masts lashed tight together but then also gave a drawing showing the shrouds looped around only the main mast, with the top mast not included. Conflicting and confusing.
Can anyone shed more light on this please?
Hallo @bigpropdoc
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back