Twisting and sticking .5mm sapele veneer planks

Work on my AL dhow has come to an abrupt halt.
I find it impossible to bend the 0.5mm sapele veneer planks in the two planes of the hull because the edge on the inside of the curve buckles out. I cannot find any help or guidance online or YouTube and wonder what other modellers have done or would suggest please?
Help!
Dudley

Attachments

• 20210303_222808.jpg
    20210303_222808.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Very nicely fitted at the stem! So are you saying that if you try to attach the next plank without tapering it, it will bow out along the bottom edge?

Very nicely fitted at the stem! So are you saying that if you try to attach the next plank without tapering it, it will bow out along the bottom edge?
Exactly Tangopapa! ...and I don't know how to get around this conundrum.
Best wishes, Dudley

I'll be interested in hearing people's thoughts on this. If you expand the picture you can clearly see the issue. I can't see any solution other than putting in a tapered plank or two.

Exactly Tangopapa! ...and I don't know how to get around this conundrum.
Best wishes, Dudley
Assuming this is your first ship, I highly recommend a book such as Frank Mastini's "Ship Modeling Simplified". It shows the method below. Roughly speaking, all of your planks now except the garboard plank (the one along the keel on either side) will be tapered at the bow. To some people here, it may be anathema, but some may have to be tapered to a point. I see lots of beginner instructional videos suggesting this. At the stern, they may taper or they may leave v-shaped gaps. These you can fill with suitably trimmed off cuts. This method is just one. There are others far more sophisticated and "realistic".

My view, and I've only done a couple of models, is that you can graduate to those methods if so inclined. Or you may be happy with this. There are also a couple of videos on YouTube by Leon Griffiths on how to plnk a sharp bow hull or how to plank rounded bow hull. When you lay the plank against the hull the plank will tell you how it will happily lie. You have to taper it to allow it to do so. Of you don't, it will complain and "clinker". Of course, you have to bend it around the bow in the other plane. You can do this in different ways. You can't bend it in two different planes and expect it to lie flat. Well, experts can but that is not you and me. See "spiling".

20210306_160408.jpg

I agree with Tangopapa. Lay the next plank amidships flush against the one you've installed and press it down with your fingers along the length of the ship to see where it wants to go. Mark the bits you need to cut off and install the plank. Be careful to make the joints as clean as possible but you can fill in gaps with sawdust and sanding down the track.

Thomas, Tangopapa. Thank you very much indeed. Will try method and also seek out the recommended book.
Best wishes,
Dudley

Assuming this is your first ship, I highly recommend a book such as Frank Mastini's "Ship Modeling Simplified". It shows the method below. Roughly speaking, all of your planks now except the garboard plank (the one along the keel on either side) will be tapered at the bow. To some people here, it may be anathema, but some may have to be tapered to a point. I see lots of beginner instructional videos suggesting this. At the stern, they may taper or they may leave v-shaped gaps. These you can fill with suitably trimmed off cuts. This method is just one. There are others far more sophisticated and "realistic".

My view, and I've only done a couple of models, is that you can graduate to those methods if so inclined. Or you may be happy with this. There are also a couple of videos on YouTube by Leon Griffiths on how to plnk a sharp bow hull or how to plank rounded bow hull. When you lay the plank against the hull the plank will tell you how it will happily lie. You have to taper it to allow it to do so. Of you don't, it will complain and "clinker". Of course, you have to bend it around the bow in the other plane. You can do this in different ways. You can't bend it in two different planes and expect it to lie flat. Well, experts can but that is not you and me. See "spiling".

View attachment 218404
Yes, my first ship Tangopapa.
Dudley

Back