Two 150-Year-Old Maine Windjammers, Two Claims to Being the Country’s Oldest

Check this out:

https://downeast.com/history/two-15...UlAs-K2S_XSy2WdU65SED7ysIPCvyxXF98w7Jc2WSI-jc

"Anyone who wants to sail aboard the country’s oldest windjammer had better parse some semantics before booking. The Rockland-based Stephen Taber advertises as “the oldest documented sailing vessel in continuous service in the United States.” Meanwhile, the Lewis R. French, which sails from Camden, claims the mantle of “oldest commercial sailing vessel in the United States.” What’s the difference? Well, the French was undisputedly completed a few months earlier, but the Taber’s case isn’t bunk. It has operated under sail for the past century and a half, while the French was stripped of its masts in the 1920s and given an engine instead, not restored to its wind-powered ways until some 50 years later. All in all, both are, beyond a doubt, very old — and either is lovely for skimming across Penobscot Bay on breezy summer days."

Check this out:

https://downeast.com/history/two-15...UlAs-K2S_XSy2WdU65SED7ysIPCvyxXF98w7Jc2WSI-jc

"Anyone who wants to sail aboard the country’s oldest windjammer had better parse some semantics before booking. The Rockland-based Stephen Taber advertises as “the oldest documented sailing vessel in continuous service in the United States.” Meanwhile, the Lewis R. French, which sails from Camden, claims the mantle of “oldest commercial sailing vessel in the United States.” What’s the difference? Well, the French was undisputedly completed a few months earlier, but the Taber’s case isn’t bunk. It has operated under sail for the past century and a half, while the French was stripped of its masts in the 1920s and given an engine instead, not restored to its wind-powered ways until some 50 years later. All in all, both are, beyond a doubt, very old — and either is lovely for skimming across Penobscot Bay on breezy summer days."
It is fascinating to think about the cost of maintenance that both would require. Particularly a vessel that has been under continuous sailing with the stress and wear that has and is imposed. It would be interesting to know how much hogging has occurred as it should be measurable and unlikely correctable. Thanks for offering this to us. Rich (PT-2)

Neither the French nor the Taber show much if any hogging to my eye though there is one schooner in the Windjammer fleet that does look pretty distorted. I doubt there is much original wood in either of these vessels. They went through major refits when converted to the passenger trade and have to pass Coast Guard inspections additionally they are no longer hauling heavy cargos in hard weather. Rot is their major enemy.

Maine is well setup with shipyards and skilled workers capable of maintaining and repairing large wooden vessels. The main problem, according to my contacts, is finding guests that want to spend a week relaxing and eating great food. Most these days are too habituated to our current fast paced, constant entertainment lifestyle!

A week aboard would be a real treat for a Modeler interested in this period of shipbuilding or just a lot of pleasant sailing amongst the islands and communities of mid coast Maine.

Fair winds

Ed

Neither the French nor the Taber show much if any hogging to my eye though there is one schooner in the Windjammer fleet that does look pretty distorted. I doubt there is much original wood in either of these vessels. They went through major refits when converted to the passenger trade and have to pass Coast Guard inspections additionally they are no longer hauling heavy cargos in hard weather. Rot is their major enemy.

Maine is well setup with shipyards and skilled workers capable of maintaining and repairing large wooden vessels. The main problem, according to my contacts, is finding guests that want to spend a week relaxing and eating great food. Most these days are too habituated to our current fast paced, constant entertainment lifestyle!

A week aboard would be a real treat for a Modeler interested in this period of shipbuilding or just a lot of pleasant sailing amongst the islands and communities of mid coast Maine.

Fair winds

Ed
From the Willamette Valley of Oregon, about an hour inland from the Pacific, it would be a spendy relaxation charter but my mind is full of visions dreaming about it. Rich

I agree, a five day or weekend cruise on one of the Maine Schooners is a great adventure. The Admiral and I have done that several times.

Jan

Back