Unboxing Unboxing H.M. Cutter Alert 1777 1:64 - Vangard Models/Chris Watton

Received this kit in the mail recently and was so impressed with the instruction manual I thought I would begin with it.
The manual is a 55-page wire wound color illustrated booklet.
The booklet measures 17" x 12" of heavyweight paper with excellent color illustrations.
One of the most comprehensive instruction manuals I have seen.
I'll begin with images of the manual and later will delve into the component parts.

If the manual is indicative of the rest of the kit, I look forward to the build.

The following are just a few of the 55 pages.

01_Shipping Box.jpg02_Parts Box.jpg

03_Instruction Booklet.jpg04_Parts List 1 of 2.jpg05_Component breakdown 1 of 4 pgs.jpg06_Assembly illustrations 1 of 20+.jpg07_more pages.jpg08_more pages.jpg08_more pages.jpg09_Rigging 1 of many.jpg

Ok, part two. Time for the good stuff :D 10_First Layer.jpg
First Layer Packaging

11_Threads.jpg
Threads

12_optional Pearwood Gratings.jpg
Optional Pearwood Gratings

13_Fittings Pack.jpg
Fittings Package

14_Anchors & Windlass Castings.jpg

15_6 lb Cannon Barrel Castings.jpg
6lb Cannon Barrels Resin Cast

16_Half lb Swivel barrel,blocks, deadeyes, etc.jpg
Half lb. Swivel Barrels, Blocks, Deadeyes etc.

17_Second Layer.jpg
Second layer Packaging

18_Acrylic Display Stand.jpg
Acrylic display Stand

19_Frame parts. Bulkheads, false keel etc.jpg
3mm MDF Frame parts, false keel, bulkheads etc.

20_More 3mm MDF Bulkheads.jpg
More 3mm MDF bulkheads

21_Main Deck 1mm Plywood.jpg
Main Deck 1mm Plywood

22_Main Deck Pattern 1mm wood.jpg
Main deck Pattern 1mm wood

23_Lower deck pattern 2mm MDF.jpg
Lower deck Pattern 2mm MDF

24_Gun carriages, cap  rails etc. wood.jpg
Gun Carriages, Cap Rails etc. Wood

25_stempost, Keel, Misc. wood.jpg
Stempost, Keel, misc., wood

26_First & 2nd planking. Limewood, Pearwood. Dowel stock.jpg
First and second planking strips, (Limewood & Pearwood), Dowel stock

27_Etched Brass.jpg
Etched Brass Sheet

28_More etched brass.jpg
Additional Brass sheet

29_Pre-sewn sails.jpg

Pre-sewn sails

All materials look to be of quality. The milled planking strips are very clean and consistent in size.
Dowels are straight and true.

The only downside for me is I dislike MDF. I know the pros and cons of MDF vs. wood however, that's just my opinion from my
experience building.

Otherwise, this looks to be a very good kit and should be a pleasure to build. (Now if I can just find the time)

They could have done a better job of the gratings. I suggest ditching the pre-cut sheet and making the gratings from one of the many parts kiits that are available.

Many Thanks for sharing with us this kit review. It is looking interesting.
I realized some differences to the first version of this kit.
f.e. is now the deck planking a sheet with laser marks. If you do not like this, especially at the small quarter deck (wrong grain direction) - is there enough strip material for the "hand-made" deck planking?
I guess it is double planked, are the hull planking strips wide enough for the clinker planking? The planks should overlap, so therefore they have to be wider than usual. Or is it planned to make no clinker, but cravel planking....
Is there any 1:64 drawing(s) also coming with the kit?
BTW: You have two photos with brass sheets (which are looking good), at the second you write "additional brass sheet", but the photo is showing the same like before - Did you get two sets?
I hope to see a building log of your project - will be interesting to follow

In general, it is a good kit which will make a nice model. Obviously, there are things that should be considered for improvement. My biggest 'cons' are the rigging blocks. Those supplied in the kits are a way of average quality. Similar quality rigging blocks have been supplied 30 years ago in Mamoly, and Panart kits, and still. However, there are many companies making rigging blocks today with quality much, much better than in the kit supplied. Ironically, VG is selling the blocks from The Falconet, which can be supplied in the kit, IMHO.
@rtibbs if you would decide to upgrade your rigging blocks, I would highly suggest DrydockModels and Parts. I guarantee you will never regret the choice.

In general, it is a good kit which will make a nice model. Obviously, there are things that should be considered for improvement. My biggest 'cons' are the rigging blocks. Those supplied in the kits are a way of average quality. Similar quality rigging blocks have been supplied 30 years ago in Mamoly, and Panart kits, and still. However, there are many companies making rigging blocks today with quality much, much better than in the kit supplied. Ironically, VG is selling the blocks from The Falconet, which can be supplied in the kit, IMHO.
@rtibbs if you would decide to upgrade your rigging blocks, I would highly suggest DrydockModels and Parts. I guarantee you will never regret the choice.

I agree it is, in general, a good quality kit. Not one being marketed as a museum quality kit. I’m not in that category either. :) After all, being sold less than $250 one would not expect everything to be top of the line and one could always make improvements as he/she sees feels appropriate for the build.
Don’t get me wrong, I do appreciate your input Jim.

Ron

I agree it is, in general, a good quality kit. Not one being marketed as a museum quality kit. I’m not in that category either. :) After all, being sold less than $250 one would not expect everything to be top of the line and one could always make improvements as he/she sees feels appropriate for the build.
Don’t get me wrong, I do appreciate your input Jim.

Ron
Hi Ron, I built this kit a couple of years ago and it goes together quite well, the only thing to be aware of are the thin MDF parts used in the stern as, if forced, they break very easily. I agree that the rigging blocks that come with the kit are old fashioned and in fact they where the only thing I changed. I thought that the pear wood gratings where quite nice and more accurate that after sales mini kits and even the etched brass ones, once cleaned up and painted. work as well. I hope you enjoy the build, my feelings are that the quality of VM kits are higher than most other European companies.
All the best JJ.

Back