Understanding Bow Details: HMS Surprise / L'Unite 1:48

Hey there! I am modelling the HMS Surprise with an aim to 3D print it (If I use wood fill it still counts!)- and doing my best to stick the drawings and blue prints provided in "The Frigate Surprise" by Brian Lavery & Geof hunt.

My challenge is I have no experience with ship modelling and finer details of things like the bow are a complete mystery to me, and sources online feel inconsistent for a french built frigate of this period. Does anyone have good photography (of models or museum ships) up close of this section they could refer me to? I've only got the rough outline so far, but I'm stuck on a few points:

- Is that blue section on top a solid deck of some kind? some models I look at seem to have a deck here, other's just the skeleton of the wood structure underneath and some netting.
- The dark yellow vertical beams - look like they are mounted to either side of the keel and sprout up to support the green curving beam. Do they do anything else?
- Is the L'Hermione repro a good guide? It has some rough similarities (french built frigate of the ~ period) but it's overall smaller.

Screen Shot 2024-02-22 at 6.53.04 am.png1708545362453.png1708545798603.png

Original hull drafts.png

Complete _deck_plan.png

If you look at the deck view, you can see the blue is a form of gratework.
The dark yellow parts also support the blue piece. If you look closely at your drawing it shows that.

Take f.e. also a look at this post

and maybe you want to use the link to the NMM

Ah neat, that makes sense. Any idea if these kinds of things are stepped or just follow the head rails? The drawing to me reads as stepped I guess...

View attachment 429576
View attachment 429575
They can be curved or angled, the designs vary enormously. Some are a simple grid platform, others a more complex arrangement designed to fit the stem structure. Bear in mind that they must allow for certain ropes to pass through, notably the gammoning, a tightly packed wrapping that secures the
bowsprit to the stem.

310659469_585512313401159_7973950643703272140_n.jpg094a58b6b11ea05a114e451c47d49263.jpg

Back