unstable stand

Building mamoli model yacht america, only my third build. Just starting the rigging. The stand which came w the model is quite unstable making it difficult to work with. In addition stand is a poor fit. Think my best bet is to replace the stand before continuing, but would like any suggestions or help. See the photos. Would appreciate any thoughts.
Dr. Y

Attachments

• 20210324_172313.jpg
    20210324_172313.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210324_172322.jpg
    20210324_172322.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 49
Use a contour gauge to copy the hull shape. Then cut a cradle to match.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210324-193848_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210324-193848_Chrome.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 38
Use a contour gauge to copy the hull shape. Then cut a cradle to match.
Since my Bluenose model has a full length keel extending about 3/8 inch below the garboard rabbit I have continued to keep it in my Amati Keel Klamper (from Ages of Sail Shop for $79.00) adjustable base with the bottom ball fitting and 18 inch long aluminum tubular upper bar. Except for rotations exceeding about 110 degrees on the longitudinal axis and 30 degrees pitch it securely works well. By staging my work I should be able to minimize problems in rigging with almost full access wherever I want it using both my sit-down desk chair and tall adjustable height shop drafting stool. Rich (PT-2)

Like @PT-2 mentioned a keel clamp is working often very well
product-keel-klamper-b7382.png

In principle the same way is with a vice like this one from Proxxon with protective covers

28602.png 28608.png

The problem is maybe partly, that your coppering of the keel could be damaged

another possibility is some foam cradle, like this one

Ship-Models-Parts-Fittings-Cast-Your-Anchor-Ships-Cradle-42047.jpg

but you can easily use soem foam material you can find in any drug store and bring it to your size

Dr.Y
I understand your situation.
I never use the model stands, to me, the rob the model’s elegance.
I always do what Philski suggested.
Mark on your hull where you would like to have your bases.
Use a contour gage and transfer that to a blank piece of paper. Glue the traced paper to a good piece of wood, (Mahogany is excellent), and add your own design to it.
I also add a piece of brass rod to the base where the keel seats on and a corresponding hole in the keel. That would make the model stay in the base whenever you want to move it.
Here is a sample of one of my bases.
F16F1C7E-F2C0-4426-837A-8929DBB967CF.jpeg

Thank you Philski, Bluebeard, Uwek and PT-2 for excellent suggestions. I will follow Philski and Bluebeards recommendations. Very helpful. Guess I will pause on the rigging until the secure stand is done.
Best,
Dr. Y

A lesson that I have learned and practice lately is not to "mount" the model on pedestals or stands until you are ready to mount for display. I used to mount the model as soon as the hull was planked and finished. Always created problems when moving the model around during subsequent construction. I use alternative cradles to hold the model instead. Some of these ideas are mentioned in this thread. I use an assembly stand that holds the model until I am ready to actually mount the model for display.

Building mamoli model yacht america, only my third build. Just starting the rigging. The stand which came w the model is quite unstable making it difficult to work with. In addition stand is a poor fit. Think my best bet is to replace the stand before continuing, but would like any suggestions or help. See the photos. Would appreciate any thoughts.
Dr. Y
Simple one. Go to a dollar store and buy a pool noodle. Cut to length you want and carefully cut in half. Use duck tape on the now flat sides together to hold them together. Creates a nice soft v for the hull and wide enough to keep stable. If you can cut carefully you can cut the noodle in half with the edge on one side still attached. I’d still recommend adding some tape. Once made you can use with other ships.

Back