USCG Cutters

I have been asked to build two types of US Coast Guard cutters which were commanded by my son-in-law. One is a Coast Guard 110 (feet at waterline) Island class, the other a 270 WMEC Famous class. Any ideas where I might get plans would be appreciated.

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I have been asked to build two types of US Coast Guard cutters which were commanded by my son-in-law. One is a Coast Guard 110 (feet at waterline) Island class, the other a 270 WMEC Famous class. Any ideas where I might get plans would be appreciated.
Really a challenge to build these models - but a great step

I found a paper card model kit of the 270 foot cutter, which is maybe a first step

MKK-USCGC-Legare-Fig.1.jpg

USCGS Legare is one of the Famous-class vessels built for US Coast Guard, entering service in the 1980s.
Paper Model contains 31 pages including:

• Cover page,
  • 2 pages of historical and technical information,
  • 16 pages of assembly instruction drawings (in total 71 assembly drawings + wire templates),
  • 10 pages of Parts (983 basic elements and 11 alternative parts) in vector format, including: internal formers (frames), display stand, etc.. Model kit contains separate part numbers (87 elements) for HH-65C Dolphin helicopter
Used vector format of parts also allows to scale the model (for instance to 1:250 or 1:100 scale, in waterline version as well) without losing quality of print.

Several companies are offering finished models like this one

WPB11002.jpg

Did you tried to contact the USCG directly? - explaining your idea, maybe they are able to help and give a hint, where such plans / drawings are available

As I am currently building the USCG Revenue Cutter Bear - 1896 version - I can tell you that I recieved very little information from the Coast Guard themselves regarding the Bear. They referred me to their publications on line which I had already seen during the research phase of my journey. You may have better luck with yours due to the fact that they are more modern.