USCGC Eagle teak deck

A good example to see how grey such a teak deck is getting, but I guess already after several years.
This will not need the 85 years life time of the ship.
BTW: the teak deck is wood on top of a steel deck, so I guess, that during her lifetime parts of the deck or the complete deck was already partly repaired or renewed.

Here it is written, that the entire teakdeck was replaced in 1979 during a longer refitting period:

By 1979, the Coast Guard had developed plans for an extensive refit at the Coast Guard Yard facility. From 1979 to 1983, Eagle visited the yard all four winters between summer deployments. .........................
Finally, the entire teak deck was replaced, and the steel beneath it was found to be badly corroded and had to be repaired as well. For two summers, Eagle sailed without parts of her teak deck. It was discovered that the teak deck is one of the keys to 'stiffening' the longitudinal strength of the ship.

1200px-USCGC_Eagle_main_deck_during_Festival_of_Sail_2008_SF_5.jpg

This is a very interesting photo showing the deck after a rain - dark brown and the dry areas are grey

Uwe, Thanks for your research and update. I should have done that myself. I was relying on my memories as a UCGC Academy Cadet for 4 years and a Navigation Instructor at the USCG Academy for 5 years. I sailed on Eagle in one capacity or another, from "swab", as 1st year Academy Cadets are called, to Watch Officer.., for 9 summers. My recollection was that the deck was a grey color and the photo illustrated that. I wasn't aware of the replacement.

Uwe, Thanks for your research and update. I should have done that myself. I was relying on my memories as a UCGC Academy Cadet for 4 years and a Navigation Instructor at the USCG Academy for 5 years. I sailed on Eagle in one capacity or another, from "swab", as 1st year Academy Cadets are called, to Watch Officer.., for 9 summers. My recollection was that the deck was a grey color and the photo illustrated that. I wasn't aware of the replacement.
And I wanted with my post only show, that it is going much faster that the wooden deck is changing the colour....... many thanks for starting this topic

I have a kit of this fine ship in my collection to build down the road some day.

Nice to see photos of real ship and deck for reference.

what a grand ship! she was at the nyc south street seaport last year open for tours. its a working ship, one of 2 commisioned sail ships in service... constitution and the uscg eagle. i got to talk to some of the crew. those kids are so lucky to have such an experiance sailing the oceans around the world.

some nice videos of the working ship and crew...

Last edited:
Back