Using a paper model as a base

Maybe one day in the future i 'll be able to build my favorite model from plans.
So just wondering,
Is it possible to built it, using a paper model as plans, as this is quite easy to find?
I mean taking paper parts, copy them on wood or plastic , laser cut them etc?
This is the product I ifound

I also found this product

I used a paper model battleship, and built it from fibreglass and evergreen plastic.

I used a paper model battleship, and built it from fibreglass and evergreen plastic.

Brian,I checked your log,there is not much about the process how you did it

Hi Zoly,
I built the card model hull, then coated it with clear fibreglass resin to provide a solid base for painting. I used automotive spray putty in a rattle can to smooth out the imperfections before painting.

Maybe one day in the future i 'll be able to build my favorite model from plans.
So just wondering,
Is it possible to built it, using a paper model as plans, as this is quite easy to find?
I mean taking paper parts, copy them on wood or plastic , laser cut them etc?

Yes. It is possible in more than one way. I have a project done exactly like that (Niña) and it was fairly easy. It is kind of stopped now because other projects have priority but I intend to finish it. Be prepared to make some changes and adaptations.

Also look here:

Regards

JL

Yes. It is possible in more than one way. I have a project done exactly like that (Niña) and it was fairly easy. It is kind of stopped now because other projects have priority but I intend to finish it. Be prepared to make some changes and adaptations.

Also look here:

Regards

JL
What is the best way to cut the wooden pieces with accuracy?

@mikegr

See here:

If you still have any doubt, let me know and I'll try to help the better I can

Regards

JL

@mikegr

See here:

If you still have any doubt, let me know and I'll try to help the better I can

Regards

JL
Thanks for the great article I will read it carefully as at the moment I can only do some research since cause of covid ordering by mail the papers from abroad is not possible.
I am also wondering, since I would like to build this into 1/160 scale and papers are in 1/200, would be ok if I reprinted them all in a bigger scale? May sounds weird but I would like a second opinion.

Many years ago I built a paper model of the 19th century Italian ironclad Caio Dulio. For the second layer of hull covering I used coloured paper cut into panels as in real ship plating and coated with pva glue which gave the paper a wood like hard rigid finish. The end result with subtle waving and visible plating joints was far more realistic in appearance than if hull was made of plastic, wood or even metal. I would suggest if using a paper model as a template of an iron ship of reasonable large scale made of wood or plastic etc to plate hull with paper for a much more realistic finished look.

I am also wondering, since I would like to build this into 1/160 scale and papers are in 1/200, would be ok if I reprinted them all in a bigger scale? May sounds weird but I would like a second opinion.

Of course you may enlarge it to the pretended size. I did it myself.

Regards

JL

Many years ago I built a paper model of the 19th century Italian ironclad Caio Dulio. For the second layer of hull covering I used coloured paper cut into panels as in real ship plating and coated with pva glue which gave the paper a wood like hard rigid finish. The end result with subtle waving and visible plating joints was far more realistic in appearance than if hull was made of plastic, wood or even metal. I would suggest if using a paper model as a template of an iron ship of reasonable large scale made of wood or plastic etc to plate hull with paper for a much more realistic finished look.

That would be a great thing as this is the way iron ships are built. However there should be caution when choosing material for the final layer as this must be suitable for painting. I know museum class models are sprayed with high quality paint, like those used on car industry or in real ships and this is what im going to use.

Back