Using Mill to Make Flats on Mast Head

Very informative video, but many of us do not have this kind of machine, a wood lathe, to build a model ...
Personally, I use a simple saw and my X-Acto! ;)

What's funny is I have the tools and I still just do it with files. I will be using the Mill on my next build as this works perfectly. I never though to use my metal mill for doing wood. I've used the lathe to taper yards and that works fantastic. If you have a drill press you can use that as a lathe I used one for a year till I bought my first metal lathe I used it mostly on metal and it worked Great you can also now buy a cross slide milling vice for the drill press and the vice has your X Y axis on it so its can be used as a milling machine. https://www.harborfreight.com/5-in-rugged-cast-iron-drill-press-milling-vise-69159.html I have and use one of these on my small drill press and it works great I use it to make sure I put holes exactly where I want them but it can be used to mill things. When I was learning Machining work the first machine tool your given is a set of files a good Machinist should absolutely be able to make parts with only a file set. I spent 3 months using files as part of my apprenticeship at the shop that taught me Machining they had me making tools and parts using only files and I got Darn good at it if I must say so myself. took a few whacks to the back of the head for using it like a saw till I learned files aren't saws and should never be used as such they have 1 direction only.

I will make a video or pictorial today of how to use the drill press as a lathe and a milling machine. Ill tag you in the Post Brother

@Ekis - I was reluctant to make this video as I understand that not everyone has nor even has access to this type of equipment.

I hope that everyone understands that I certainly am not boasting about anything here as I have had this for several years now. All of us (including myself) fall in between a gap of either not having enough tools to too many tools. The Lathe and the Mill are actually the only good things that I have. The only recent addition was a MicroMark mini table saw and my wife bought that for me. My other tools are very old . There are many things I would love to add to my shop like a oscillating drum sander, etc. I also remember about 14 years ago when I started, the only thing I had was one exacto knife and a couple of tweezers and a small table that a TV used to sit on. Money flow for me is almost non existent for now.

@epicdoom (Joe) thanks for your ingenuity as I have also used bizarre setups. I had at one time what I called my "ugly lathe" as it was a powered drill that ran about 30 RPM --- HA --- try tapering a dowel with that. So, I have been there and done that trying to make do with what I had or have.

Before SOS forums was born and my very first work bench area a TV stand of which I made long time ago: The tool chest is a jewelry chest that was being deeply discounted from lowes as damaged. The ship is teh Captain Kidd plastic from Lindberg. I was not even doing wood at the time as I was intimidated by it and thought I would or could never do wood. I tried many many years ago and never completed one. I guess this jumped started me again when I got married.

bench.jpg

This is my first lathe: My second bench I made out of a solid core door and the little drawers were made by me.

lathe01.jpg

outstanding repurpose of a hand drill. many things designed for use in one way can be used in others. I saw my father take a few 2X4's screw them together to make a channel he put the hand drill in the channel with hose clamps and then use that as a drill guide to line bore a round steel bar into a gun barrel with some fantastic results. I now have that crudely made 32 cal. handgun and it still shoots perfectly.

I was reluctant to make this video as I understand that not everyone has nor even has access to this type of equipment.
I hope that everyone understands that I certainly am not boasting about anything here as I have had this for several years now.
No problem, especially thank you for showing us how it all works. Making a video is important work and shows your desire to share. I just said that, unfortunately, I envy you to have such tools! :cool:

Hi Dave,

this is a Sherline Model 5410 (Metric) along with what they call the "A" package plus the DRO (Digital Read Out). They also have the 5400 which is inches (imperial)

this is the link that best describes the entire package and you will see that it has just about everything to get you started. If you order "just" the Mill, you will only get a Mill and no tools, cutting tools or anything.

One thing this link does not show is the additional DRO (Digital Read Out) that I bought to go along with it.
I think their price list has $1495 for the "A" package + the DRO. The DRO in my opinion is a must as it gives the X, Y, and Z measurement in real time as you turn the dials. It also displays the RPM.

https://www.sherline.com/product/5400a5410a-deluxe-mill-package/
You have to choose the "option" drop down as you will select the Inch or metric.

If I remember, I would have to call, I think they also offer the DRO as a pre-installed option as well. I did not do this - what I did was I ordered the DRO separately and I installed the DRO once I got the machine in. Not too hard to do , but a little tedious. I would opt to just have them do it.

Hi Joe, I think this is what I am looking for I have an X-Y table but do not even know how to set it up, THIS LOOKS GREAT I hope to see your video and learn more, to make my moldeling and faster, I have been updateing all my power tools will review them at the begining of the year, this one if I see how it works on wood do not do metal work, so plase show how it works on wood, and what is the spacing of the slots, my other purchase will be the luthers best fried, which works on my bench drill press it is a thickness sander, spindel sander all in one now can add the harbor frieght milling machine I also need to know what cutters to use and where can I purchase them, THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND I WISH YOU AND YOURS AVERY HAPPY CHRISTMAS AND PEACEFULL NEW YEAR IN OUR LORD AND SAVOUR JESUS CHRIST. Don

Hi Joe, I think this is what I am looking for I have an X-Y table but do not even know how to set it up, THIS LOOKS GREAT I hope to see your video and learn more, to make my moldeling and faster, I have been updateing all my power tools will review them at the begining of the year, this one if I see how it works on wood do not do metal work, so plase show how it works on wood, and what is the spacing of the slots, my other purchase will be the luthers best fried, which works on my bench drill press it is a thickness sander, spindel sander all in one now can add the harbor frieght milling machine I also need to know what cutters to use and where can I purchase them, THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND I WISH YOU AND YOURS AVERY HAPPY CHRISTMAS AND PEACEFULL NEW YEAR IN OUR LORD AND SAVOUR JESUS CHRIST. Don
I forgot about that I will get it done in the next couple days. For cutters or end mills pretty much any can be used on wood there are a ton of designs to choose from but for the model ship builder you will want the standard 2-4 flute end mills size will depend on what your working on you cam mill a 10mm dowel with a 10mm end mill all in one pass or make multiple passes with a smaller 2mm end mill. just depends on how much work you want to do really. with any tool you let the tool do the work by that I mean keep a feed rate that the tool is comfortable with. I've seen guys plow a 14mm end mill set 13mm deep into steel. while most good milling machines can handle that load provided a slow feed rate is used its not recommended to plow through it fast. For me I'd prefer to take smaller bited say 3mm deep and make multiple passes your tools will like that better and you wont run the risk of damage to the work piece especially wood where you can get tear out very easily if you try and plow through it. When I make the video I'll show how to approach the work piece from all angles. rotational direction of the cutter is important to getting the job done swiftly and also safely as well as obtaining the best finish. the 2 types of milling are Conventional and Climb milling I like to use conventional but climb milling has its place as well and is used by many machinist. I have been sick as a dog the past 2 days haven't really felt like doing anything but sleeping. but I will get this video done to show how to use the drill press and a machinist vice to make a milling machine. If set up properly you can do great work with the combo and I demonstrated that to a naysayer when I milled out an 80% lower AR15 receiver to exact Spec. I do own 2 milling machines one a very large turret mill and the other a micro mill from harbor freight. But I didn't always have those so I found ways to make other tools do what I needed.
LowerTop_zpscb84c412.jpg80Front_zps93b3ff03.jpg

Joe Thanks for the thread, I am interested in the Harbor Freight Mill that you show, can it be used with wood in your video can you show some samples of how it works for us in particular ( model ship builders in particular) where can I get the cutters from. MUCH THANKS FOR THIS Thread. Don

Yep it can be used for wood as well as metal the end mills can be bought at harbor freight if your just going to use them for wood if you want to cut metal Id go for better brands those can be bought from Amazon and ebay much cheaper then places like Graingers. Micro mark also will sell good end mills you wil want a set to cover from 2mm to 10mm range for ship building however keep in mind the 2mm will do the job a 10mm will, but will take more passes. Ill post some links for end mills from good enough for wood up to perfect for metals so you can choose what you want to buy. today has been the worst for being sick so hopefully I feel better tomorrow and can get that video made for you but I will have it done by the weekend no matter what.

Joe, Really APPRECIATE YOUR HELP,THIS IS WHAT THIS FORUM IS ABOUT, MODELERS HELPING MODELERS, do not have to rush this get well for the holidays, AND PLEASE REMEMBER WHAT THEY ARE ABOUT THE BIRTH OF OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR, I leave with ( PEACE ON EARTH, GOOD WILL TO MEN). will be looking for your video and coments when you post them. Don

No problem, especially thank you for showing us how it all works. Making a video is important work and shows your desire to share. I just said that, unfortunately, I envy you to have such tools! :cool:

Back