Using Tru Oil as a finish on wooden model ships?

I was curious if anyone here has any experience with using Tru Oil as a finish on wooden model ships?

I used it quite a bit in the past on finishing restored electric guitars, thin it down a bit with mineral spirits and spray it on with a Preval. I've got an old stratocaster clone I built from scratch that I finished in Tru Oil about 10 years ago. Still looks good.

Down side to Tru Oil is it is a slow process as you really need to let each coat cure for 24 hours.

I was curious if anyone here has any experience with using Tru Oil as a finish on wooden model ships?

I used it quite a bit in the past on finishing restored electric guitars, thin it down a bit with mineral spirits and spray it on with a Preval. I've got an old stratocaster clone I built from scratch that I finished in Tru Oil about 10 years ago. Still looks good.

Down side to Tru Oil is it is a slow process as you really need to let each coat cure for 24 hours.
I use tung oil to coat ships. It dries for a long time - this is a fact. But I like the result more than varnish.

Tung oil is a good finish as well. I've never used it, but I know lots of people who do and swear by it.

Tru Oil might be a bit of overkill for projects like this because it was originally developed for finishing gun stocks. I've also used it as a filler on grainy woods like Swamp Ash, really makes the stain pop.

I am a big fan of using Oils but to be honest, have never used Tru oil. Being Tru oil is a mix of Linseed and other natural oils, I see no harm in using it on the models, but why? You can use the Linseed or Flaxseed oils alone. Both dry to a somewhat hard finish required lots of time between the coats but cost a margin cheaper. Tung oil is also one of the alternatives I will use. Basically, any natural oil is my friend. I don't like working with blends like Danish oil. But that's my personal taste. ;)

Good point about why, that's what I meant about overkill for projects like these. But I might go ahead and shoot a few coats on this model when I get the second layer of planking done. The instructions say to use shellac, and I like using that, but just for fun I thought I'd go the Tru Oil route this time.

Back