• "Annual SOS Donation Drive Underway"
    Please consider making a Donation to SOS to support our growth and developement.
    https://www.paypal.me/DonateSOS
    Please check and read your email subject [Donations] from sosforums@shipsofscale.com for more details.

USS Bonhomme Richard (1765) Full Scale (Cad Portion) Joseph H

JosephH

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

well so far today I have half of my 1200 files completed for the framing. I should finish them tonight I hope and this weekend be starting setting up to loft my hull

JosephH

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

So I got all my planes and part files made now I need to make an assy for each frame and then an assy with all the fwd frames and one with all the aft frames next. by making 2 separate assys it just makes everything so much easier. Once all this prep is finished I will copy it so don't have to for the next ship. this is the most tedious part of all the drawing as the rest can be done one at a time as I draw the parts for the interior

JosephH

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

Well I have the aft and Dead Flatt Assys all made next to make the Fwd Assys then I can start drawing. the front should go fairly quick as im in a rhythm now and theres fewer of them due to the front having angled timbers which I will have to create the planes for later after I determine the layout of them. I should only take abt 2 or 3 hours to do the fwd assys.

I just like to document my process so others may see how my workflow goes. I could do all this as a part file without all the assembly's, however it is then not easy to reconstruct everything if it is shared or if more than 1 person working on a project. this way if I need to share with someone else it is neat and organized and easy to work on.

I have gotten a lot of aircraft project files from people for group work where they dont take the time to do it correctly and I just send it back saying not going to touch it as I have no clue where parts go or fit together etc. this way I can draw all parts in their proper locations and one just has to mate front to front, top to tp, and right to right and the part magically falls into its proper place with no guesswork.

JosephH

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

Yay all my assemblys complete time for a break and then to do some more layout drawings so I can start lofting up my hull

JosephH

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

OK so today is the day we actually start drawing something. I have gotten my fwd and aft assys finished and just finished making my part file with all my planes for lofting the hull now it is time to set up the loft and have some fun. I still have to do some waterlines and guide frames but we should be good. looking at my notes the DF should be 40 ft so will start with my DF frames as they will be the easiest

JosephH

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

So I got the Dead flat area layed out now need to do some forward and aft frames then check out the top of the hull lines and tweak things so I can work my loft. this is kinda tedious to ensure I have a nice smooth loft and lines but it is way more enjoyable than making 1400 part files rofl.
I just need to be sure I get the hull shape correct and fare before I start loftingBonhommeRichard-003.jpg

JosephH

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

So Now I have everything laid out and adjusted for paper deflection on the parts, which wasn't very much, and it looks pretty good so I will take a short break and trace them out then do a test loft before adding the inner parts to the framesBonhommeRichard-005.jpg

JosephH

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

Now I have the front stations and mid stations finished and placed. I will extend these stations straight up to match the highest point of the aft frame just to make it easier to loft. I need to add the lower guide and the waterlines to check for fareness then I can loft the front so as to get other stations and check for any deviations. then I can use all the front stations and work on the aft and fare it in and when finished should get a really nice outer hull loft

BonhommeRichard-006.jpg

JosephH

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

all this taking time like this is not the setting up the loft but checking every dimension I can get for accuracy so when finished it will be as accurate as possible with Jean's research

JosephH

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

So I put out 22 waterlines and went through the stations and Fwd stations 1 and 2 are off just a hair the rest are spot on

JosephH

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

Finally got from the Deadflats thru the forward stations lofted. turned out pretty good. theres a couple teensy spots by the keel but when i create the rest of the forward stations I can adjust it and it will flow nicely. for now will start tracing the aft stations and get them in place and when both halves done will tweek the very bottom areas that are off slightly as I am sure will need to adjust on the aft. they are so small you dont see them unless super zoomed in.

BonhommeRichard-007.jpgBonhommeRichard-008.jpgBonhommeRichard-009.jpg

JosephH

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

Now that I have the aft stations traced will put them in place and get them fare, then I can loft the entire hull. check it overt then start adding the inner thickness

BonhommeRichard-010.jpg

JosephH

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

So went through everything and found some minor glitches here and there so Now I am on a second pass checking and adjusting stations and waterlines

JosephH

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

So got a loft done looking ok will fill in all the in betweek frames look for and fix any woopsies and then have another go at it. looks decent some of the flaws can be seen here are more shadows than flaws but its all a matter of just loft and fix loft and fix til everything is fared in perfect. I believe in fixing any teeny flaws even if its 1 inch at full scale and miniscule at 1/48 that as long as I can do it in cad why not and give the most perfect drawings i can instead of just letting people sand out that little bit
BonhommeRichard-011.jpg

Jeronimo

Hello

Apart from the two oldest monographs, Jean Boudriot has drawn all the other monographs alone. There are 18 in all.
I fear that Joseph's approach will not succeed because he relies on drawings whose scale is not rigorous, the dimensions of the pieces are not related to the tables of scantlings, the design is questionable in many ways, etc.
Building a 3D model of a ship of this era is extremely complicated and requires much knowledge about French shipbuilding of the eighteenth century.
I, for my part, drew eleven complete monographs in CAD in 2D with parts in 3D. It takes between three and five years to complete the project in a credible way to avoid criticism and remarks. The monograph of the galley "La Fleur de Lis" required thirteen years of research and drawing, not continuously but certainly by working very often.
It often happens that people come to me to create they own monograph, so far, and since 25 years, none has come to lead because of the complexity of this work and the huge amount of historical information needed to create a set of credible plans.
I wish Joseph courage and tenacity to reach the end of his project, it is a long and hard task.

GD

Hello Model Friends.
I have no idea about CAD program and drawings or how to do that.
My opinion is that you can build very good and beautiful models
alone with the plan drawings by J.Boudriot or G.Delacroix.
Karl

( Ich baute die Bonhomme in drei einzelnen Sectionen )
1.0001.jpg4 (85).JPG10 (72).jpg10 (96).jpg10 (100).jpg25. (9).JPG25. (13).JPG39. (28).JPG39. (60).JPG43. (27).JPG43. (78).JPG

Uwek

Admin
Staff member
Administrative
Blandford Group Build

Karl did not show everything of his beautiful sections.
He built 3 parts of this vessel, and you can find much more photos (also during construction) here:

and for everybody who is interested in the drawings from Jean Boudriot

interesting could be also this book: