USS Bonhomme Richard 1779 1:48 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Oleg, thank you for sharing your build, fantastic workmanship and a great eye for detail.

As a Paul, from Scotland and with my father and grandfather telling me from a very young age that JPJ was a relation of ours, black sheep of the family was how he was described! How true that is I do not know.
My family have had a long history with the sea, uncle was a marine architect, father was a pattern maker both in Denny's Shipyard, my brother a Radio officer and I started out as a marine Radar Tech with Decca Radar.

I really do appreciate seeing your Bonhomme Richard, your model is really beautiful and I am loving her lines.
Welcome to the forum - you have a very interesting family history :cool: - many thanks for your participation - and I agree fully with your comments about Olegs model

Thank you Alistair! Wanna buy my model? :))
Just joking.. :)
I still have sticker shock from seeing the kit for sale in the UK, never mind all the labour you have put into it. :)
I came across this thread while looking for a somewhat "simpler" model of the Bonhomme Richard.
It has been a very long time since I built a plastic model never mind wooden one, but now I'm retired I'm looking for something to keep my hands busy.

Your ship that we have the chance to see up close (our table was next to where you put your ship) was one of our conversation at our last meeting last Tuesday.:)

Thank you - I was thinking about ordering this separately, but I won't if it's included.
you have to be careful and check exactly which version you are ordering - the usual content is the rails etc. in Cherry or in Pear, the extra upgrade is for the version in boxwood - so I would ask here the supplier, which version of the rail (which timber?) is included

Oleg,
Can you please comment on the quality of the wood in the kit, and also the quantity of wood provided for the first and second planking of the hull? I've ordered the pear version, but I'm pretty new to planking and want to be sure there is enough wood to cover the mistakes I'm sure to make.

Oleg,
Can you please comment on the quality of the wood in the kit, and also the quantity of wood provided for the first and second planking of the hull? I've ordered the pear version, but I'm pretty new to planking and want to be sure there is enough wood to cover the mistakes I'm sure to make.
Great news, that you have ordered this wonderful kit - so we can hope to see another building log of this model?

It hasn't been shipped yet - Chinese New Year plus coronavirus. So I really don't know when I will get it lol.
We will be happy to wait, important is "that"....... crossing the fingers .....

Oleg,

Shortly, the wood is good and there is enough of it :)
Unlike european kits with shitty wood, chinese put very good material: pear and cherry are one of the best materials for models. The quantity is also far enough with one exclusion: the zone between two whales is made of 1x6 that are not used anywhere else, and the quantity is tight. If you need to rework this area for some reason (like I had to) you don't have spare planks, but this applies exclusively to this plank size

Hello,
I am interested in the Bonhomme Richard ship model for the ZHL company. But nowhere do I find information on the quality of the instructions. Can you tell me if the instructions and drawings are well understood? Are the rigging patterns clear and all knots are shown? I don't have much experience, so in the future I want to buy a boat kit with some very good instructions. Do you think better schemes are for Caldercraft or ZHL companies?

Hello,

First of all, this kit is not ZHL, it's Unicorn.
Me, I didn't see a lot of kits. Usually the quality and schematics of masting and rigging in kits lies on the level of a child toy, because first of all they are usually wrong by about 50%, and secondly they are so much simplified (by a goal of reducing the kit cost) that they have very few in common with the correct rigging. That's why me I honestly didn't even study the rigging and masting sheets that went with this kit. I work entirely based on the Ancre's monography and 74-gun ship books.
At a quick glance on the sheets I can say that they are quite clear. Masts and yards are according to monography. The rigging, well I didn't check it as I said already, but it looks ok. I think if your plan is just to stay within the kit instruction, you will be fine.
I can't say anything for Caldercraft since I never saw their instructions. But in general this company has a reputation of making the models much closer to their prototypes and archive drawings, than any other european/us kit manufacturers. For example, their Victory is the most historically correct among all Victory kits - at least, that's what I heard.

Last edited:
Back