USS BONHOMME RICHARD - POF - Cross Section in Pear - 1:48 [COMPLETED BUILD]

......aaaand we have progress. I decided to plank up the sides, both inboard and outboard. The reason was that I wanted to finish the rough work, before I started to put the guns in, which would be more easily damaged when working on the planking. Still some more finishing before the guns go in.
B4469115-650B-486C-9FC7-C3A75E96C7EF.jpeg36F5D2B1-1408-4672-9F6C-1CD45809F72A.jpeg290EE43A-4F96-45AA-A44B-448CC78D6183.jpeg

WOW - very good work on the outside planking and tree-nailing - it is looking very good
hmmmm .... I have to go back also to my section...... ;)

This is really looking good Thumbsup
The loose ends should be coiled - but check the thickness of your rope - it is looking slightly too thin
View attachment 181248
Thanks. I will attempt the coil, but I found a description that in action the “loose ends” were just that - loose. I always think that these things are too large for the scale. I think the rope is fine. The blocks are too big. D096A862-1D23-4A57-B999-B9AFE234C53C.jpeg

This is really looking good Thumbsup
The loose ends should be coiled - but check the thickness of your rope - it is looking slightly too thin
View attachment 181248
Thanks. I will attempt the coil, but I found a description that in action the “loose ends” were just that - loose. I always think that these things are too large for the scale. I think the rope is fine. The blocks are too big. View attachment 181253

My 2 cents
I have to say, that the ropes, like shown in this painting would never be so hanging around one pin. (on the left hand)
The gun is out for a shot during action - after the shot, the gun garriage would fast go backwards and would destroy the side panel or minimum the pin-rail.
It is a very free interpreted artistic painting, but technically incorrect.
When the carriages was pulled out ready for the shot, the long end of the rope was secured in a coil (or something like this) in such a way, that no gunner would get hurt by the fast running rope, when the gun carriage went back, so also not like the loose end on the right hand of the gun.....
The gunner were hardly often trained - so that every single move by material and people was effective as possible......

Does anyone have a scale drawing (1:48), that the could share, of the gun tools like this?View attachment 185459
The length of these tools were defined by the gun where they have to be used.
The gunners did not use unnecessary longer tools - a question of the best handling
So depending on the length and caliber of the gun muzzles the length and width of these tools were defined
Cannon-cutaway-compressed-768x499.jpg Cannon-Tools-compressed-768x638.jpg

Well explained on this web-page:

and also some more info.
These tools looked slightly different between the navies
1569658603_158004_640.jpg

and also some more info.
These tools looked slightly different between the navies
View attachment 185477

Thanks for the info. Would the Americans use the French style?

Back