USS Constitution Build log by VIC [COMPLETED BUILD]

Yes, I'm a noob. I think I spend more time reading, watching videos, pondering over the schematics, and just sitting there scratching my head and rubbing my chin than actually working on the build.

I feel that way and I haven't found a ship I want to start yet! LOL...but I cant wait to get started. I have a couple of airplanes to finish before I get immersed into ships though...

This looks great Kurt.

Frank

I feel that way and I haven't found a ship I want to start yet! LOL...but I cant wait to get started. I have a couple of airplanes to finish before I get immersed into ships though...

This looks great Kurt.
I just jumped in there with the Constitution. There’s plenty of detail, but the Billing Boats model I bought is relatively simplistic. I think I would have preferred actual instructions instead of just pictures. Many things in the rigging and planking did not go into detail or were obscured in the drawings.

Frank

Watched Donnie’s YouTube video on lanyards again. I’m taking some of the things he said and using them. I won’t have a space in the shrouds to put a spar. The kit didn’t call for one and the foremast didn’t get fixed with one so I’ll leave it off. The lanyards are coming out more even. And I like the way Donnie did the wrapping above the deadeye. I won’t be as careful as he was. I noticed that several ships had the lanyards wrapped above the deadeye and some between them when I looked a real life ships. So I’m not too concerned if they are all symmetrical. Foremast and main mast. Note that the lanyards with the smaller deadeyes are supposed to be longer, according to kit instructions. image.jpgimage.jpg

After tying the smaller lines up above the deadeye, I wrapped the two shroud lines and the short end of the thinner line. It makes the serving look bigger, keeps me from accidentally cutting my lines prematurely, and allows me to be able to tie off the loose ends after the wrap. AD8DA15F-E51D-4C2A-8CED-169A280E03E4.jpeg3044CFCA-D974-429B-96B6-91BF44E43ACF.jpeg3296F67B-E23E-4284-B8FF-52A9BCCD38DA.jpeg025E3908-BFF8-4A2F-BB09-AC724CEEB7A2.jpeg4B6C316F-A326-43DA-AFDD-13D799B9CA8F.jpeg

Back