USS Constitution Build log by VIC [COMPLETED BUILD]

What chew talkin bout Willis???? Ooops, sorry... Gary Coleman flashback!!

I meant only you seemed to be a little too worried about making them perfect when they already look really really good.
They did have slack on real ships some so I think everything in a perfect line is mostly modellers choice. Real ships were built to
work, I doubt lining up deadeyes with a ruler was on the agenda. Now please, anyone with more knollage correct me in this,
but if all the rigging was taught and didnt have give, wouldn't they snap loose after a few stormy waves?

Dang it Vic, I meant they look good man, now eat ya some b-day cake and love how your ship looks.... LOL

Edit: cant speel gud
You ought to write a book, Clair. You have wonderfully colorful language. The Admiral agrees. If you’re worried about editing, this old English teacher would be available.

Has anyone considered using steel deadeyes?

Actually yes, kind of. For the one ship I did finish ( and still need to get out of storage, clean up, then present photos ) I made
my block strops and deadeye stays from steel wire. I formed them, then using forceps heated them till they glowed with a
butain tortch, once they were good and glowing I quenched them in some oil I had laying around. Cleaned the oil, then annealed
them in the oven at like 350 for just a few minutes. They kept their shapes, were easy to work with, and not brittle thanks to the
oven treatment.

Of course this was entirely an excercise in "why not, I got nuttin better to do, lets try"

While it is my plan to do so, it's still in storage. Needs digged out and cleaned up. Then I can upload some pics.
Maybe over the weekend I can get to it.

Back