USS Constitution Build log by VIC [COMPLETED BUILD]

My first attempt to make a sail. I made a copy of the paper template and sewed it to the kit provided cloth. The paper wouldn’t tear off without ripping out the thread so I soaked it in water. I could get most of the paper off, but the edges unraveled. Well, back to the drawing board. image.jpg

Yeah buddy, some things we learn by mistakes unfortunately. Id soak it some more water to get the rest of the paper off that one.
just use some ca glue to seal the edges of the sail material.

Yeah buddy, some things we learn by mistakes unfortunately. Id soak it some more water to get the rest of the paper off that one.
just use some ca glue to seal the edges of the sail material.
This one is too frayed to use. I think I’ll have to use the glue before I soak it to provide some shape. AF747319-06F0-423B-815C-07A747100DC3.jpeg
This is just to show me how the real one will look when I finish it.

I am a bit late to the party Vic, but I am enjoying following your progress. I can fully relate to the learning process, and share your joy as your ship takes beautiful shape right before your eyes. Keep up the excellent work. Will follow your build with great interest.

Reggie

what is the recipe for the bees was turpintine
None of your beeswax, Smelly! (I've been dying for a chance to say that.) My guess is it comes already mixed. I have some mixed with some kind of oil that I got at Home Depot. I didn't care for it much because it was messy and didn't get much wax on the thread. The thread didn't harden.

Back