USS Constitution Build log by VIC [COMPLETED BUILD]

A bookshelf tells us much about a man. From Beowulf to Educational Psychology to Matthew Henry. Love it!
The large book lying flat above the picture to the right is a Bible that was printed in 1834. Over half the books in those two bookcases are from the 1800s. I’ve been a determined, if not avid, reader for 65 years—ever since I discovered comic books!

Your ship is taking shape nicely, I'm starting to find out about rigging. Hopefully the more I do the easier it will get.
Remind me to never take a photo in front of my bookcase, don't think it will say anything good about me. LOL

Your ship is taking shape nicely, I'm starting to find out about rigging. Hopefully the more I do the easier it will get.
Remind me to never take a photo in front of my bookcase, don't think it will say anything good about me. LOL
I wish I had some volumes on rigging and sailing ships. If anybody has some good examples, I’m ready to start reading for my Soleil.

I probably should have blackened the wire, but I didn’t for the foremast, so I’ll leave it as is. I’ll probably go back and re-rig the whole ship when I’m 80. Or maybe I’ll just buy another kit. How about a scratch build? I’ll wait until I get more tools and convert my garage into an air conditioned work shop.

Have you given thought of the outrigger sails added to ends of main yards to give more sail area, almost doubles the total number of sails if you have ever seen photo or diagram of ship in FULL or Max sail that could be hung to get max speed.

Check out the home page on subjects, there are several good books on subject of rigging depending on type ship and country of origin, the rigging often varied.

One book on a ship I was reading mentioned it had been re-rigged 3-4 times in her life, under different commanders and again after being captured in battle, new navy had different way of rigging ships.

Have you given thought of the outrigger sails added to ends of main yards to give more sail area, almost doubles the total number of sails if you have ever seen photo or diagram of ship in FULL or Max sail that could be hung to get max speed.

Check out the home page on subjects, there are several good books on subject of rigging depending on type ship and country of origin, the rigging often varied.

One book on a ship I was reading mentioned it had been re-rigged 3-4 times in her life, under different commanders and again after being captured in battle, new navy had different way of rigging ships.
Actually, I have looked at some ships with the extra sails. They weren't included with this kit, so I opted not to include them. If I ever re-rig, then I will consider it; at least I'd add the extra yards and blocks.

Not entirely sure what you mean but I'll try.

On the end of the gaff what I think you are calling the braces are connected to the gaff and go down to the double blocks which go to another double block attached to the arms sticking out at the corners, the line then goes forward and ties off near the cleat for the boat hanger. There are also 4 single blocks on the end of the gaff that the four lines for turning the yards go through. There is a similar arrangement on the end of the boom to each corner of the ship. From the end of the boom there are also 2 lines that go up to single blocks under the platform and then go down and tie to the end of the pin rain at the bottom of the mast.

I'm not sure what you mean by the rings for the spanker. If you mean the rings to hold the sails on the answer is no. The gaff and boom do have rings so they can slide up and down they are held on by the rigging not glued in place.

Here's another photo that shows the side a little better.

View attachment 236841
I will use this as a guide. Unfortunately, I don't have enough blocks for all that rigging. I may simplify some. I guess I could go buy some more blocks from Syren or Cornwall.

I'm now on the horns of a dilemma, between Sylla and Charibdis, between a rock and a hard place. The kit plans have no instructions for braces for the mizzenmast, and the braces for the other masts don't go down to the belaying pins. I'd like to have more rigging than they show. But I don't want the rear of the ship to look more rigged than the front. Decisions, decisions!

Back