USS Constitution Build log by VIC [COMPLETED BUILD]

I have a lot to learn too. The rigging will be different on the Black Pearl. It uses a lateen sail rather than a spanker. The BP also has a more complex rigging plan. So far, I’ve only crossed lines once. And I haven’t cut any lines accidentally.

I have found that when I start tying up my haliards from the top, by the time I get to the belaying pins below, it’s difficult to keep my lines taut because of the play in the lines I need to tie the lines off. So I started doing the lines from the bottom up. It works better. The only problem I had here was the pin at the end was too close to the bit, and I couldn’t get the line to go between the pin and the bit. I guess it was the BITter end! I wound up tying the line around the rail and belaying it. I hope no one notices. Oops! Too late!image.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve had some issues with looping the lines to the bottoms of the belaying pins. I’ve tried using a dab of white glue to temporarily hold a loop in the line long enough to hook a loop onto the bottom protuberance of the pin. If I keep pressure on the line, I can then belay it with more ease. Now when the admiral says, “Belay that, Mister!” I can do so more handily. image.jpg

Now that I’m done belaying the haliards, it’s time to add the blocks for them on the mast and the yards. Wouldn’t you know it! I don’t have enough blocks! I either lost them in the carpet or Billing Boats didn’t send me enough. I’ll have to make them. I don’t want to wait several days or weeks to order them. I have some sticks left over from the Black Pearl’s scaffolding that I didn’t use. I’ll try using my trusty Dremel to create a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. 30A58248-199F-4716-AA6F-FBA00F7B4671.jpeg715256E2-DF28-48D4-A3D3-17CCF84D30BE.jpegimage.jpg

Now that I’m done belaying the haliards, it’s time to add the blocks for them on the mast and the yards. Wouldn’t you know it! I don’t have enough blocks! I either lost them in the carpet or Billing Boats didn’t send me enough. I’ll have to make them. I don’t want to wait several days or weeks to order them. I have some sticks left over from the Black Pearl’s scaffolding that I didn’t use. I’ll try using my trusty Dremel to create a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. View attachment 240489View attachment 240490View attachment 240488
What was it that Clint Eastwood's charter said in Heartbreak Ridge "Improvise, adapt and overcome!"

84224A73-8288-494F-850F-27DC69CD534B.jpeg
I’m starting on the boats The directions tell me to cover the top with black fabric. I don’t recall seeing black tarps for lifeboats—maybe gray?F4BB431A-5A83-434E-95D0-72E9A6677853.jpeg
Now it’s starting to shape up with sails billowing a bit in the evening breeze. Now I wish I had started out with more complex rigging, but I can’t start from scratch at this time, and most of my friends won’t notice. I will, though.
BC8A6700-CF9C-40FC-B925-3A838B0E8F42.jpeg
I built a tiny 2 mm double block. They come in a package of 10 blocks and are created by gluing together 5 batches of 10 and cutting them apart. It’s really tiny so I have to use the smallest thread I have. I’ll use the light thread as upper braces.

Back