USS Constitution Build log by VIC [COMPLETED BUILD]

It was only a suggestion Victator.. I did not think you would actually do it!!! Game on!!!!!! Remember, you will also have to tie 1440 ratline knots on the rigging...

This is my practice ship to learn the techniques and discipline involved. It may not be a museum piece, but it’s more than I have ever done before. Because of that, I’ll always be proud of the effort.

I think it's looking good. I would probably try rolling the gauze in a 6" or 12" length Whatever longer length is convenient. Then clamp the ends in some sort of c shaped frame. Maybe a coping saw or hacksaw frame in a vice? Then tie a whole bunch of threads around it. Then cut the individual sections apart after the thread is tied. Hopefully that makes sense. Don't know how well that would work, but I expect it would be easier to work with a larger piece that is being held mechanically while tying the knots.

I think your doing great as is Thumbsup. I'm just always trying to come up with an quicker easier way to do things.

I think it's looking good. I would probably try rolling the gauze in a 6" or 12" length Whatever longer length is convenient. Then clamp the ends in some sort of c shaped frame. Maybe a coping saw or hacksaw frame in a vice? Then tie a whole bunch of threads around it. Then cut the individual sections apart after the thread is tied. Hopefully that makes sense. Don't know how well that would work, but I expect it would be easier to work with a larger piece that is being held mechanically while tying the knots.

I think your doing great as is Thumbsup. I'm just always trying to come up with an quicker easier way to do things.
I tried rolling the gauze lengthwise and it did speed things up a bit. Not cutting the thread length by length and leaving one end attached to the spool also helped. I was, however, disappointed with the look. They appear to be miniature cotton bails instead of hammocks. I think I should have made them half as thick and twice as long and folded them over. Maybe a different kind of material would have worked better. My biggest lesson learned is not to glue things down until I’m perfectly satisfied. Oh, well. Finish this one and do better on my second one. image.jpgD280857B-A068-4824-86AD-7E44F0CEE8E6.jpeg

Back