USS Constitution Build log by VIC [COMPLETED BUILD]

What does laid up like ordinary mean? In the harbor at the dock?
Actually, doing the hammocks, deadeyes, and rigging are kind of therapeutic. My blood sugar has gone down the past few months. Maybe I can have another ice cream tonight? It does bother me a bit that this model is designed to show the museum phase of the Connie rather than the wartime version. The hatches are wrong, there are guard rails on the hatches, and the capstan is unworkable in its current environment. I'm not sure how I can convert it to wartime footing at this time.

I'm not sure how I can convert it to wartime footing at this time.
Yup... from a historical standpoint your build is a bit of a mash up. But heck - who cares? Are you having fun? Model ship building is a progressive learning curve. For your next model you will do a bunch of "up front" research...

Sail on bro!!!!

Now, for this month's photos. I can see now I've made a lot of mistakes. Keeping lines tight is sometimes a challenge. Also, my foremast leans forward a bit. I'm also wondering if I shouldn't have done the main mast first.

Hi Victator,
In my opinion it is best to see mistakes as a learning opportunity the challenge is to remember what you did wrong and try not to repeat it!
You are doing a great job, take your time and try to think ahead.
Cheers,
Stephen.

Okay, I've finished putting in all my bottom lanyards and am just about ready to start rigging the main mast. I've read posts by @Donnie and @Clair on rigging the shrouds so that the lanyards and deadeyes will line up evenly. I've also heard how some have used jigs. Somehow, I'm just not picturing how it can be done step-by-step. The ones on my foremast look like a roller coaster ride. Although I'm not interested in re-rigging my foremast, I would like to do better on my main and mizzen masts.

Back