USS Constitution Build log by VIC [COMPLETED BUILD]

I just started back to work on my Connie. The lines supplied in the kit are so thick and clunky. They are also pretty loosely woven. And it’s almost impossible to tie them off to the tiny belaying pins. So I used some beige thread instead. I’m hoping it will be a little more realistic in size for a 1/100 model. I’m also tying them to the pins before I add the sails so I have more room to work around the bitts. I hope this makes it easier to rig later. 8F507B6F-F75B-42FF-A602-5B942351EDE1.jpeg

Yes, there are some people that rig starting at the bitts or belaying pins and work there way up.
you can also use beeswax to make the lines stiffer and take the looseness out.
So how many different sizes of line they give you?

Yes, there are some people that rig starting at the bitts or belaying pins and work there way up.
you can also use beeswax to make the lines stiffer and take the looseness out.
So how many different sizes of line they give you?
They gave me three or four, Donnie. They were all white and thick and loosely woven. And it wasn't enough. I started by using what they gave me and painted the stays black until the Admiral gave me some of her black embroidery thread. Now I'm trying regular thread. At this scale it doesn't look too bad. And it sure ties off easier to the belaying pins.
Welcome back to shipbuilding Vic!
Thanks, Paul! I just caught up with your posts. For some reason, I wasn't being notified of your posts. I rebooted the follow in hopes I would be notified again.

Hi Vic just seen this build for the first time quite a challenge for a first build. Lot of tips for my BP rigging.
I learned a lot on this build, Tony. It helped me on my Black Pearl. Now I can finally finish the Connie, if I ever figure out how to use my lathe to taper my yards. I might have to use my drill again.

I did, but it doesn’t seem to fit. I didn’t know anything about lathes when I bought them. I just don’t see how to attach the 2” chuck. I’m going to go to Harbor Freight to see if they can give me any help.

Yes chucks come in lots of different fittings did you get a replacement? When fitted the lathe is much better than a drill.
Yes, I ordered one via Amazon. If I had known the shanks are interchangeable, I would have just ordered a shank. I had already gotten my money back for the original chuck I had bought.

Right chuck. Right shank size. The lathe works much better. I’m having to be extra careful on the lengths of the dowels to make sure I have some dowel on each end to fit in the chuck. And then about 3-4 mm extra so I don’t bang my tools into the spinning chuck. I’ve iced chisels, files, and sandpaper. Once you get the hAng of it, it’s quicker and easier than using a drill to taper yards and mast.19F49E00-860B-45CD-98A4-6E8024EBE19A.jpeg

Right chuck. Right shank size. The lathe works much better. I’m having to be extra careful on the lengths of the dowels to make sure I have some dowel on each end to fit in the chuck. And then about 3-4 mm extra so I don’t bang my tools into the spinning chuck. I’ve iced chisels, files, and sandpaper. Once you get the hAng of it, it’s quicker and easier than using a drill to taper yards and mast.View attachment 234512
I would like a lathe like that, maybe one day I hold the yards in the middle and do them in two parts, not sure if you have clearance behind the chuck to it this way.

I gave it a little extra length, cut with a file to Mark the end, and used two sanding blocks—one on top and one on bottom. When I measured it at the desired width, I put the other end in the chuck and started over. I completed it during one baseball game—mostly between innings and pitcher changes. I got 8 yards done. It would have taken me all day with a drill and my fingerprints would have burned off even with heavy gloves.

Back