USS Constitution from Scientific Models

I was rummaging through a friend’s hoard of books, magazines, paintings, and generally interesting things with him. While I was gawking at his stuff, we were talking about my hobbies as well. As we headed back downstairs, he picked up an old wooden kit of the Constitution made by Scientific and handed it to me. He said he bought it when he had visited the Constitution Museum back in 1984. He had never opened the box. I asked if he had enough room to display it, and he said, “Sure!” I guess this is my next project: for Gary.

Yeah, sold by a museum makes it museum quality, even "the most superb kit ever produced of this vessel" states the box. But then, it was way back in 1984. A lot of kits have been produced since then.
BTW very nice service of you to build it for your friend. A challenge to really make it museum quality.
Yeah, Herman, like I'm going to be able to make that challenge.;)

I've built several Scientific kits for fun and with a little update on the provided materials you can produce a very nice ship. I bashed the Flying Cloud kit to resemble the Star of India in San Diego harbor.

View attachment 359514

View attachment 359515

View attachment 359516

View attachment 359517

View attachment 359518

View attachment 359519

View attachment 359520

View attachment 359521
How fun! Did you do your own planking? They also don’t have real deadeyes, just pieces of metal cast to look like them.

A definite upgrade would be to plank the deck using thin veneer boards. The large rings that run through all the boards kill the scale. ;)
Interesting kit!
I just don’t know where to get such skinny planks. I do have both mahogany and walnut veneer, but walnut is way too dark, and I’m not sure how I could get a consistent cut for the planks. And you are so right about the ugly wavy rings/burl on the deck.

I just don’t know where to get such skinny planks. I do have both mahogany and walnut veneer, but walnut is way too dark, and I’m not sure how I could get a consistent cut for the planks. And you are so right about the ugly wavy rings/burl on the deck.
You can get veneer in light wood online at the hobby shops that sell ship models and wood. ;)

Back