USS Constitution "Old Ironsides " 1:93 Scale Mamoli

A

Aussie048

I bought the kit on the ‎26 ‎May ‎2014

I started the build of the of the Mamoli USS Constitution about around June of 2015 :D
The Mamoli USS Constitution's are in multiple languages including English but the :angry-banghead: parts list is not unfortunately.

Cheers
Geoff
P1010095D.JPGConstitution.jpg

Thanks Graham

The kit is pretty good but I may scratch build gun carriages as they are metal and also few other parts.

Mamoli was burnt down a year or two ago but Daniel Dusek has bought the rights and wish him well.

Cheers
Geoff

So with him buying the rights, will he be replacing parts and making their rigging line? What is the name of the company he will be selling them under. I like his 0.4 mm line and would like to get some more.

Gary

I think you should go to Dusek and ask the question about the Mamoli rigging line.

There is a contact page on there website with an email address

http://www.dusekshipkits.com/home

Also google mamoli rigging line

Try this website http://www.historicships.com/Rigging/Rigging%20Menu.htm

I hope this will help. I wish you luck. I only found out about this at the end of May

Cheers
Geoff

The length is 973 mm and height is 667 mm.

I hope it is not to large as I would love to see another Mamoli USS Constitution build log done. :D

I know of one partial build log done.

When I was looking at buying the kit, one of my friends said to get something good that you can really get your teeth into.

I got it off Model Expo eBay website at auction for under half the normal price and landed in Australia.

Cheers
Geoff

The firsts step was to cut out the bulkheads and the false keel and glue the false keel together

The next step was to build a keel clamp with bow and stern posts to hold the Connie square. I think I can improve on the keel clamp on my next build by using 2020 aluminium extrusion with t Slots on the board and then started to dry fit the bulkheads. I did have problems with the bow with a warp to one side that I had sorted out.

I proceeded with the dry fitting of the false keel. The cut outs in the false keel was about 0.5 mm wither than the thickness of the bulkheads, so I was advised to put a packer in and then dry fitted the bulkheads again and measured the height of the bulkhead with a waterline marker to make sure that the port side matched the starboard side.

P1010017D.jpgP1010018D.jpgP1010024D.jpgP1010026D.jpg

After dry fitting the bulkheads it was time to glue them in. I was not happy with one of the bulkhead alignments so I got out the Isocol and softened the PVA glue and pulled it out, cleaned it up and refitted the bulkhead and continued on. The use of aluminium angle helped square the bulkheads to the false keel. I have always like to show how I go about making pieces just in case there is a better way of doing thing. This will help me and maybe other builders.P1010028D.jpgP1010029D.jpgP1010031D.jpgP1010033D.jpg

Gary

They are 10 * 10 mm main beams and did certainly tighten up the buckheads.

Cheers
Geoff

Know that I was happy with the alignment of the bulkhead it was time to fix the main rails in place and start on the fitting the lower deck. I did recheck the height of the bulkheads after the main rails were fittedP1010035D.jpgP1010036D.jpgP1010038D.jpgP1010039D.jpg

Hi Geoff, That looks like a very versatile work bench you have there. Old Ironsides is coming along fine, I'll look out for the planking see how you get on with it, i'm just starting to plank the vic now.

Cheers
Graham.

All I can say is - Fantastic on those jigs for holding the frame true - VERY impressive !!

Donnie

Seadog

I made it myself out of white melamine and two pine strips down the centre. The pine loosens up after a while, so a hardwood could be better or some 2020 aluminium extrusion with tee slots. Check that out on eBay.

I am thinking on what do do so I can make a gantry, maybe waterline maker better, but have not worked it through yet

Cheers
Geoff

Hi Geoff,
I have a constructo version of the USS Constitution . I haven't started it yet I want to hone my skills before I give her a go. Nice looking project. :handgestures-thumbup: :music-rockout: :handgestures-salute:

Are you still working on the Ole Iron Sides ?

Donnie

Donnie

I hope to be back to my Connie in the next few weeks

Cheers
Geoff

Mike

When you start your Connie as I was told make sure the false keel is straight and then align the bulkheads square.

Take your time

Cheers
Geoff

Back