USS Constitution scale 1:186 first build

D

Danno71

Still researching but managed a few bulkheads for starters.
e9c0f294-326e-4d35-86ae-a37004f04402-jpeg.98896
E9C0F294-326E-4D35-86AE-A37004F04402.jpeg603037B3-87D6-464F-97B2-2F4D4F39002A.jpeg

Good morning Zoltan,
It's 1:186 - I purchased the plans from, http://www.bestshipmodels.com/ , To sets - 7 prints "USS Constitution" and 13 prints "USS Constituation2"
I've probably bit off more than I can chew. Detail will be simplified but still difficult.

I will gladly accept any recommendations or suggestions you may have. Once again, not new to modeling in general but very new to ship building.
Regards,
Dan

I had to jig the bulkheads in a stack to ensure no movement during glue-up. I did this by positioning the bulkheads in a symmetric top view stack. I then tack glued the edges. After drying I drilled two holes 3.75mm through all bulkheads to accept bracing dowel rods during assembly. I’m pleased with result. It’s straight!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

The build has taken a tragic turn. One sheet of my plans were one scale while the second sheet was off by approx 10%. It could be that the printer service made a mistake or a misfortunate key stroke in Paint Shop. Needless to say the decking is 10% larger than the hull. I know the real reason, lack of patients and attention to detail.
Therefore, this build is scrapped and off to find higher caliber plans for the Constitution.
Regards,

That's a shame but it happens with scratch build, when you have plans made say from a print each plan might be slightly different. I find nothing is exact so adjustments have to be made, that's what scratch building is about. You have to be a bit of a bodger like me. The end result is important. Nobody can see under the wood. Paul

Back