USS Enterprise 1799 - Coffee Table Build

Hi, welcome to my build log. This is the first model ship I've built and will most likely be my last. This is something that I've always wanted to do and now I seem to have the patience and attention to detail in my life dialed in a bit, so I thought it time. I chose the USS Enterprise for several reasons, it's size big enough for the detail yet small enough for my one-bedroom apt., it's importance in history being part of the initial Navy fleet and protecting not only the continental United States locally but abroad, and its mystery it seems that from a construction perspective, there is not much to reference specifically about the ship. Some drawings and renderings but no actual plans. I think the later allows for that bit of artistic license and the ability to make some adjustments in detail and finish.

I'm calling this my coffee table build because that's where I'll be building my project. So, for those of you contemplating building something like this and don't have the impressive shop or work area, follow along, I'm sure that somewhere along the way there may be some interesting methods of necessity that arise due to the environment. First of which, my workplace. In order to protect my coffee table, I clamped down some Masonite (finished side up). I chose Masonite because it has both a soft side to protect my table and a hard side to work on and maybe provide for suction cup mounting of tools. We'll see about that when the time comes. So welcome to my work area. My ship was delivered yesterday so I'll get started in a few days after picking up a few necessities, like glue :)

Stay Tuned!!!

IMG_20230320_212525950_1.jpg IMG_20230321_091533783.jpg

I'm looking forward too since I'm planning my first build in almost 20 years and my situation is very similar: one bedroom apartement with my coffe table as my main workplace. My table ist a little bit smaller and my sofa is red, to name a few differences :). I was always worried if that was possible. So it motivates me that someone else is trying to do this. Wish you good luck!

I'm looking forward too since I'm planning my first build in almost 20 years and my situation is very similar: one bedroom apartement with my coffe table as my main workplace. My table ist a little bit smaller and my sofa is red, to name a few differences :). I was always worried if that was possible. So it motivates me that someone else is trying to do this. Wish you good luck!
Cirdan,
Thanks! I'm sure with a little time, patience and extra effort to keep things tidy and clean, the build should be no problem. Tag along and let's figure it out together. Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions based on our common path.

Sarting my build:
I was somewhat surprised when opening the box how little there seemed to be in the box based on what the end result should look like. Seeing all the parts tucked away and organized was exciting. First order of business was to get the first part of I'm sure will be many materials, tools and supplies before this build is over. A stop at the local "Home Depot" store to grab some Titebond II glue, some basic sandpaper to start (60gr, 150gr and 400gr) sound get me down the road a bit and a couple small files.

Time to dive in:
Pulling out the plywood sheet with the bulkheads and center frame... Okay so let me start out by saying, I'm a land Lover, Jeep Guy by heart, if I mess up with the nomenclature, please be easy on me.... And how do you turn off those silly emoticons!!!??

Laying out the sheet, I first numbered the slots and the bulkheads before releasing them from the sheet. Took me a moment but found the numbering scheme for the plywood sheet in the instructions upper left. Then a simple cut to release and a dry fit to ensure everything fits relatively easy. All seems to be fitting pretty good just leaving a couple questions to ask those who might be following along.
  1. Bulkheads do not seem to maintain square to each other. I assume that blocking them in the corners during glue up will square everything up pretty close. Is that correct?
  2. The center form running stem to stern appears to have a slight bow in it. Can I align this during planking or is there a method to square everything up prior to planking if any adjustments need to be made?
I've noticed that the first four forward bulkheads will need a bit of sanding at the top so the deck will sit flat, other than that, all appears to be ready for squaring and glue up. That I'll do after getting some extra blocks (don't want to use anything that came with the model for clamping or squaring. Parts are for parts) Simple first few steps, but before glue up, I want to make sure this is correct because like anything else, it's all in the foundation. Get this out of wack, and it just gets worse from there.

IMG_20230323_165231062.jpg IMG_20230323_170436940.jpg

Last edited:
So, I'm' not familiar with the kit you are building, but if the next step is to install the false deck and there are slots in the false deck for the tops of the bulkhead to stick through, that will keep the bulkheads square to each other. However, before you do that, if some of the buklheads are sitting proud from the false keel, before you sand down the tops, you need to make sure the bulkheads are down far enough on the false keel to be where they are supposed to be. Otherwise the bottom of the bulkhead will be up to high and you will end up with an unsightly depression in the hull or you will need to scab a piece of wood onto the outside of the bulkhead to build it up. Just something to check before you glue. :)
My friend says that wood ship building is test fitting 75% and gluing 25%. :D

Hope that helps !

Jeff

A shop would help, a load of tools would help……. I don’t know if anyone out there would have been involved, but have you ever seen prisoner art or trench art. There was a display that coincided with my visit and tour of the Kingston penitentiary here in Ontario Canada after it was shut down. AFTER IT WAS SHUT DOWN.
They had an olde sailing ship made of bone, the donor is unknown. l do remember it was made back in the 1700’s.
The builder was truly talented…. No shop…. No tools…. Confined work place…. Horrible working conditions….

just saying, it’s the builder who creates a masterpiece
just enjoy your build !

Good morning! Congratulations getting started in this wonderful world of wooden ship modeling! I built this ship a couple of years ago. Jeff's is great advice. Fit, fit, fit then glue.

Good instincts on the issue of the squaring bulkheads to keel and the issue of a warped keel.

Try putting the keel on a flat surface with a flat heavy weight on top for a while. Sorry I don't know how long I'm starting a build and I'm having a similar issue. I happen to have some 1/4" thick glass sheets handy. I'm going to sandwich my keel between these sheets and see what happens. I'm also going to search the site for suggestions.

You could also consider purchasing or making a keel clamping device. Check the site for examples.

There are several methods for squaring the bulkheads to the keel. In the past I've used a carpenter's square. You can also use Legos clamped on both sides of the slot tight to the bulkhead. Again, run a search on the site and you'll find builds where modelers have used this technique.

Unfortunately, the false deck does not have slots. The slots might have helped with alignment. BUT, you can carefully measure the distances between the bulkheads and mark them on the bottom of the false keel and make sure that your bulkheads sit between the lines when you glue them down. If you don't already have some sturdy straight pins you'll want to get some from your local fabric store to help pin things as they are drying. Ideally, if the warp in the keel isn't too bad, installing the false deck will keep the keel true if the bulkheads are all properly aligned.

I'll keep you posted on my results with my warped keel.

Chuck

Sorry, I just realized that I'm a few weeks behind. You may already have solved your issues. I hope you were successful!

Chuck

In 1989, we moved to Columbia, SC, into an apartment, temporarily. Most of our furniture was in storage, so I dragged a coffee table out of the apartment dumpster to use for my computer. Later, I started my build of the HMS Victory Cross Section on that table. Today, almost 34 years later, my son has a new house with a hobby room I would kill for. But he still has that original coffee table for more temporary needs.

Never pass up a good coffee table! I'll be following your build with interest.

Very very interested in how your build will proceed. The house is sold and it appears that any new premises (wife searching for less vacuuming/cleaning abode) won't have either a garage or workshop for my hobby(s), Bikes, Hiking & camping gear, hydroponics etc "Oh My God!" the end is nigh :( - yes i will follow your build.

Very very interested in how your build will proceed. The house is sold and it appears that any new premises (wife searching for less vacuuming/cleaning abode) won't have either a garage or workshop for my hobby(s), Bikes, Hiking & camping gear, hydroponics etc "Oh My God!" the end is nigh :( - yes i will follow your build.
keep in mind that garage space she neither has to clean or vacuum. :D
Many have seen on here that a move for me is imminent. I am making sure we are looking for a house with a 3 car garage so I can make a shop.

Good luck !

Jeff

Hola, bienvenido a mi registro de compilación . Este es el primer modelo de barco que construí y probablemente será el último. Esto es algo que siempre quise hacer y ahora parece que tengo un poco de paciencia y atención a los detalles en mi vida, así que pensé que era hora. Elegí el USS Enterprise por varias razones, es lo suficientemente grande para los detalles pero lo suficientemente pequeño para mi apartamento de una habitación, es importante en la historia ser parte de la flota naval inicial y proteger no solo los Estados Unidos continentales a nivel local sino también en el extranjero. y su misterio parece que desde el punto de vista de la construcción, no hay mucho que referenciar específicamente sobre el barco. Algunos dibujos y representaciones, pero ningún plano real. Creo que lo último permite ese poco de licencia artística y la capacidad de hacer algunos ajustes en los detalles y el acabado.

Llamo a esto mi construcción de mesa de café porque ahí es donde construiré mi proyecto. Entonces, para aquellos de ustedes que están contemplando construir algo como esto y no tienen una tienda o área de trabajo impresionante, sigan adelante, estoy seguro de que en algún lugar del camino pueden surgir algunos métodos interesantes debido a la necesidad del medio ambiente. En primer lugar, mi lugar de trabajo. Para proteger mi mesa de café, sujeté un poco de masonita (con el lado terminado hacia arriba). Elegí Masonite porque tiene un lado suave para proteger mi mesa y un lado duro para trabajar y tal vez proporcionar el montaje de herramientas con ventosa. Eso lo veremos cuando llegue el momento. Así que bienvenidos a mi área de trabajo. Mi barco fue entregado ayer, así que comenzaré en unos días después de recoger algunas necesidades, como pegamento.:)

¡¡¡Manténganse al tanto!!!

View attachment 364158 View attachment 364159

So, I'm' not familiar with the kit you are building, but if the next step is to install the false deck and there are slots in the false deck for the tops of the bulkhead to stick through, that will keep the bulkheads square to each other. However, before you do that, if some of the buklheads are sitting proud from the false keel, before you sand down the tops, you need to make sure the bulkheads are down far enough on the false keel to be where they are supposed to be. Otherwise the bottom of the bulkhead will be up to high and you will end up with an unsightly depression in the hull or you will need to scab a piece of wood onto the outside of the bulkhead to build it up. Just something to check before you glue. :)
My friend says that wood ship building is test fitting 75% and gluing 25%. :D

Hope that helps !

Jeff
Jeff,

Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't given that much thought as I had been focused on the topside of the false keels to ensure the deck alignment. Fortunately here the tops of the bulkheads needed a simple angle adjustment and at the bottom where the hull meets the keel seems pretty close. I'll be double planking the hull with this model so I can fair up the lines a bit if it needs it.

Mike

Sorry, I just realized that I'm a few weeks behind. You may already have solved your issues. I hope you were successful!

Chuck
Chuck,

Actually not. The bulkheads are not yet glued up yet as I'm taking my time and use my time modeling as a break from the stresses of the day so I'm not working on it every day.

The idea of laying the false keel makes a lot of sense, using glass is ingenious!! The false keel I have is not severally twisted and pinning it based on careful measurements should work well.

Thanks!!

Back