USS Germantown 1843 [COMPLETED BUILD]

But or the poop and forecastle ladders and railings, the deck furniture is complete. The ladders you see are what I am guessing is what she had. I will not be sure until I get the John Lenthall plans of her from the Museum. I can do most of the dead eye platforms, the dead eyes and the chain to the hull except for the one closest to the quarter gallery's which I cannot make until I see how they integrate with the stern gallery.

IMG_8089.JPGIMG_8090.JPGIMG_8091.JPGIMG_8092.JPGIMG_8093.JPGIMG_8094.JPGIMG_8095.JPGIMG_8096.JPG

No, it is planked. I have issues with trying to show chalk lines in planked decks. If the gaps are even 3/4 inch wide, in 1/72 scale they would be nigh unto invisible anyway even inking the edges an butting them together looks odd to me, so I do not attempt to pick out the gaps. If I could do a decent job of really close up photography, you COULD see the plank gaps.

Chain wales are mostly attached. The dead eyes are being positioned and the "chain" in being bent to the hull and clipped to size. Then a hole to nail it to the hull is drilled. The lower masts are done, and the tops are done (1833 style). The cross and trestle trees to support them are being made.

IMG_8111.JPG

IMG_8112.JPG

IMG_8113.JPG

IMG_8114.JPG

IMG_8115.JPG

IMG_8116.JPG

IMG_8117.JPG

IMG_8118.JPG

IMG_8119.JPG

IMG_8120.JPG

IMG_8121.JPG

Royal tops on fore and Main are done, show parts of mizzen. 1833 style tops. Once that is done I have the odd eye bolts on the caps and the odd cleats around the base of each mast as needed. Then paint. I still have to wait for plans to do the stern galleries, so, I cannot step the masts. I will work on the Columbia and Raritan, and the yards for the Germantown.

IMG_8141.JPG

IMG_8144.JPG

IMG_8145.JPG

IMG_8146.JPG

My congratulations for finishing this very interesting project
- BTW you have there a nice collection
Hope to see also the other ships .....

Back