Rattlesnake by MS

Started on the Rattlesnake. Have keep cut out. Managed to break off two small pieces. I have glued them back. I thought I was being very careful. Warning to other be extra careful when removing sections.

Tkam: did you measure your reference line fro the keel or at the joint top down? I measured and get 0.9 cm. Did you get this?

Tkam: did you measure your reference line fro the keel or at the joint top down? I measured and get 0.9 cm. Did you get this?

Did you mean for where to locate the gun ports? If so I measured from the top of the bulkheads and THAT became the top edge of the gun ports. I can't remember what the measurement was but all my ports came out nice and even.

Started on the Rattlesnake. Have keep cut out. Managed to break off two small pieces. I have glued them back. I thought I was being very careful. Warning to other be extra careful when removing sections.

I know what you mean John B. The bulkheads are boxwood which makes fairing the hull (sanding) much easier but I much prefer plywood bulkheads. I broke these boxwood bulkheads at least 4 times so far. The good news is a drop of CA gel glue puts it right back into position.

Did you mean for where to locate the gun ports? If so I measured from the top of the bulkheads and THAT became the top edge of the gun ports. I can't remember what the measurement was but all my ports came out nice and even.
Thank you.

I know what you mean John B. The bulkheads are boxwood which makes fairing the hull (sanding) much easier but I much prefer plywood bulkheads. I broke these boxwood bulkheads at least 4 times so far. The good news is a drop of CA gel glue puts it right back into position.
I dont lnow how many times I broke a bulkhead or beam, think everyone who has done this kit has. How much did you have to allow for the false deck I like your Idea with the planking

It must be some other type of wood. Box wood is far to expensive to use it for bulkheads, secondly the bulkheads are to big for being boxwood.
Last boxwood is quite strong and wouldn't break that easy. To avoid breaking shape them by grinding in the length of the bulkhead and not in an angle of 90 deg.

I am really having difficulty with the "reference line." I don't know we where to measure from. I also reinforced the part that broke and the main connection point. May have made a mistake.20191208_123447.jpg20191208_123447.jpg
Honestly I wouldn't call this a beginner's kit, only because the "directions" are bereft of anything useful. If you really want to start with this kit I would buy the practicums for it.

Thank you. Ordered the CD.

Attachments

• 20191207_172356_HDR.jpg
    20191207_172356_HDR.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 18
It must be some other type of wood. Box wood is far to expensive to use it for bulkheads, secondly the bulkheads are to big for being boxwood.
Last boxwood is quite strong and wouldn't break that easy. To avoid breaking shape them by grinding in the length of the bulkhead and not in an angle of 90 deg.

Yep you're right, I meant basswood. OR, whatever material is usually used for laser cut pieces. Izzat basswood?

I dont lnow how many times I broke a bulkhead or beam, think everyone who has done this kit has. How much did you have to allow for the false deck I like your Idea with the planking

I just went to the local lumber/hardware store and got the thinnest sheet of craft basswood I could find. I don't have it in front of me but if memory serves me correctly it's about 1.5mm thick. It's really pliable and conforms to the curve of the deck so the deck remains higher at centerline and lower at the wales. I'll do the same for the poop deck and the forecastle. Actually, now that I think of it the total thickness of the craft basswood false deck and the super thin teak strips is almost exactly the thickness of the basswood strips provided in the kit for deck planking. So no change in the deck level.

Last edited:
I am really impressed with Model Expo. Emailed them and they sent a new laser cut keel. Had offered to pay for it and several planks to practice with. They sent both free of charge.

I am really impressed with Model Expo. Emailed them and they sent a new laser cut keel. Had offered to pay for it and several planks to practice with. They sent both free of charge.

Yeah I'm not sure what the initial holdup was, I had to send a trouble request via their website three times and I called twice before I got a response. But once they did notice me they stepped up and took care of me. I was honest with them about the extra gun carriages and cannon I wanted for Rattlesnake and that it wasn't that they were missing from the kit, but still they didn't charge me. Nice.

I just went to the local lumber/hardware store and got the thinnest sheet of craft basswood I could find. I don't have it in front of me but if memory serves me correctly it's about 1.5mm thick. It's really pliable and conforms to the curve of the deck so the deck remains higher at centerline and lower at the wales. I'll do the same for the poop deck and the forecastle. Actually, now that I think of it the total thickness of the craft basswood false deck and the super thin teak strips is almost exactly the thickness of the basswood strips provided in the kit for deck planking. So no change in the deck level.
That really worked out

Back