Rattlesnake by MS

Interesting. Just checked out the 1:48 scale rattlesnake sold by Unicorn models. The pics of that model clearly show pin racks back on the poop deck. I guess I chose my line correctly.

Yeah fire dog. I bought some sail cloth and am planning on doing furled or partially furled sails. I have NO idea how I'm going to accomplish this mind you..

Interesting. Just checked out the 1:48 scale rattlesnake sold by Unicorn models. The pics of that model clearly show pin racks back on the poop deck. I guess I chose my line correctly.
Do you have a link to the Unicorn website? Google can't find it. Thanks

I was looking also and found this about it.
Thanks. The more photos I can find of Rattlesnake the better. Really helps in figuring out the plans.

The Navy board model also has pin racks along the rail on the poop. Curious that the MS model shows nothing of the sort.

I wonder what the Mamoli kit shows? But I bet there are as many variations as the number of people who has built it

I've only found two pictures of the Mamoli Rattlesnake on the internet and the tiny bit of the quarter deck I could see it did not appear to have pin racks.

I may have this figured out with the pin rails...
Assurance captured Rattlesnake on 17 June, The British Navy registered Rattlesnake on 30 November as HMS Cormorant,
ran across a drawing of the Rattlesnake with no pin rails but HMS Cormorant underwent fitting at Plymouth (between November 1781 and February 1782) and those drawings show it with pin rails and I think IMO that since the HMS Assurance captured Rattlesnake on 17 June and when they drew up before refitting which were the only builders drawings that survived (no record of John Peck's drawings) thats where the confusion comes in The photo shows some changer quarter badges removed, different color scheme, "pin rails" , so I think there is no right or wrong, who knows there is nobody alive when it was floating.
Cormorant.jpg

Last edited:
I may have this figured out with the pin rails...
Assurance captured Rattlesnake on 17 June, The British Navy registered Rattlesnake on 30 November as HMS Cormorant,
ran across a drawing of the Rattlesnake with no pin rails but HMS Cormorant underwent fitting at Plymouth (between November 1781 and February 1782) and those drawings show it with pin rails and I think IMO that since the HMS Assurance captured Rattlesnake on 17 June and when they drew up before refitting which were the only builders drawings that survived (no record of John Peck's drawings) thats where the confusion comes in The photo shows some changer quarter badges removed, different color scheme, "pin rails" , so I think there is no right or wrong, who knows there is nobody alive when it was floating.
View attachment 133877

That's some pretty good research, I'll buy it. I think I'm going to stick with the pin racks even though this is still the American Rattlesnake. BTW, were there pin racks on the main deck too or just on the quarterdeck?

Looks like between the forward 2 open gun ports (no covers) for the fore mast also it looks like just aft of the mizzen mast. also look at where the ladders come down to the quarter deck they are turned toward the center line instead of going foward but that maybe a cormorant thing

That fits. To have pin racks abeam each mast. I'm going with that. Thanks for doing this research for those in the Rattlesnake club!

Back