Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thank you, Maarten and many others, for your well-wishes. Feeling just the tiniest bit better this afternoon...though overnights are the worst.

I'm not entirely certain of the final sail configuration - it all depends on how realistic I can get these things to look. For now the working plan is to have the topgallants fully furled (or maybe left off) - the topsails fully open - the course sails loosely (partially) furled.

These sails are taking a long time to fabricate but I will drop them in the trash bin if they don't look right on the ship. It wouldn't be the first time I spent time on something that never made its way to the ship...not to mention all the times you did see something on the ship only to see me take it off and start over.
NO, you don't TRASH them. Save them as practice sails for stain practice and other things like experimenting with the stretching jig and starching them. They are important learning tools.

Thank you, everyone, for your advice on when to add blocks and sails - as well as for all the sail-making tips. For anyone interested, gluing on bolt ropes is not faster than hand-stitching (logic says it would be). A large sail actually takes 2-3 hours - but it does look very clean and precise.

As for covid - you've heard about people who get it, but they don't even know it because they feel completely fine... Well, that has NOT been my experience. This thing is kicking my butt. Monitoring very carefully to see if this is something I can ride out at home.
My first time having covid my O2 hovered around 90-91 so while I was feeling absolute garbage it was not low enough to be admitted. It was something I really didn't like going through. And my wife, who has asthma and all while I don't have any of that, went through covid with no major issues or cough or anything. I came out with bronchitis and walking pneumonia and was out of work for almost two months. She is a lucky duck I'll tell you what LOL you will make it through just be careful!!

As for covid - you've heard about people who get it, but they don't even know it because they feel completely fine... Well, that has NOT been my experience. This thing is kicking my butt. Monitoring very carefully to see if this is something I can ride out at home.
I trust you will recover soon Paul, take care Thumbsup

Thanks Steve. As long as it doesn't get worse, I'll survive. I've been trying to work on my ship to distract me from how I feel - but sometimes I need to walk away. My biggest fear is that I gave it to my whole family... Because of my job I test myself most every day - but I felt fine yesterday and didn't bother with the test. By evening I started to deteriorate.
That was also my experience. Felt perfectly fine in the morning and was falling apart by late afternoon. Best wishes for a speedy, uncomplicated recovery, Paul!

Thank you, everyone, for the well-wishes. I have now passed through what I trust will be the worst of it. This thing was no joke. Of course, even as I say that I am aware that others have suffered even more. Indeed, more than 6 million dead worldwide is sobering in this day and age. May God grant us mercy and that this pandemic would soon end.

But during it all a ship called out to me, and I found working on her provided moments of helpful distraction.

Sails are largely done. Images follow (some of these sails have been modified for length because they will be fully or partially furled).

On the course sails I had to retroactively add cringles at the foot for buntlines (SO MUCH to learn!!!):

IMG_8172.JPG

These topsails are all full-size and will be show fully open (if not fully wind-filled):

IMG_8173.JPG

And finally, the lateen and the topgallant sails (these final three will be fully furled so the foot was just made straight):

IMG_8174.JPG

In order to hang the sails on the yards I needed to do some rigging on the ends first. Here is one of the sheet block/lift block combination things I made earlier...as well as the pendant for a brace:

IMG_8178.JPG

The working end of the brace pendant with an odd little connection:

IMG_8179.JPG

Today I was also able to get the ends attached:

IMG_8183.JPG

IMG_8184.JPG

Next up...lots and lots and lots of robands... Thanks for stopping by! You're a fine bunch!

I'm very glad to see that you feel well enough to be working on the ship Paul - yep, Covid is not something to play with or consider lightly. The sails look wonderful and even though there was a small period of trial and error involved, you actually completed those very quickly. I will follow closely to watch your progress and learn from you.

Good day Paul!
Looks nice! Well done! Very accurate and clean job!
How did You make that brace pendant knot - mmm...(no good !?) could try do better ^))) ... it shouldn't be made just as simple fanny knot from the same rope...
as variant \imitation knot on the pendant could be made from other piece of thread of the same size... making a simple knot, applied it at the end of the pendant+SA gel+nail cutter\for fast clean cut running ends of the thread + tweezers for proper forming imitation of this knot(need to do it while it is still wet with CA gel-to give knot oval shape), than seizing need to be made on the end of the pendant above this knot ... ( Guterman skala or similar thin thread is very handy for making imitation of seizing, or ordinary synthetic thin thread need to be undone in three strands and one of them could be used for imitation of seizing or splicing of the rope )

23 Der Hollandische Zweidecker1660_70.jpg

PrWlm.jpg

Fo123042DIA.jpg

Fo123050DIA.jpg

Fo123054DIA.jpg

Vasa br bl.JPG

seizing.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, everyone, for the well-wishes. I have now passed through what I trust will be the worst of it. This thing was no joke. Of course, even as I say that I am aware that others have suffered even more. Indeed, more than 6 million dead worldwide is sobering in this day and age. May God grant us mercy and that this pandemic would soon end.

But during it all a ship called out to me, and I found working on her provided moments of helpful distraction.

Sails are largely done. Images follow (some of these sails have been modified for length because they will be fully or partially furled).

On the course sails I had to retroactively add cringles at the foot for buntlines (SO MUCH to learn!!!):

View attachment 313675

These topsails are all full-size and will be show fully open (if not fully wind-filled):

View attachment 313676

And finally, the lateen and the topgallant sails (these final three will be fully furled so the foot was just made straight):

View attachment 313677

In order to hang the sails on the yards I needed to do some rigging on the ends first. Here is one of the sheet block/lift block combination things I made earlier...as well as the pendant for a brace:

View attachment 313679

View attachment 313680

View attachment 313681

View attachment 313682

Next up...lots and lots and lots of robands... Thanks for stopping by! You're a fine bunch!
Very nice Paul. I doubt whether the actual Vasa sails were as clean and tidy as yours are. Good luck with the rigging and sail bending, I'm sure it will turn out very well indeed Thumbsup

View attachment 313675

View attachment 313676

View attachment 313677

View attachment 313679

View attachment 313680

View attachment 313681

View attachment 313682

Great to see you are back on deck and feeling better Paul,
Your sails, blocks and lines look fantastic.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Good day Paul!
Looks nice! Well done! Very accurate and clean job!
How did You make that brace pendant knot - mmm...(no good !?) could try do better ^))) ... it shouldn't be made just as simple fanny knot from the same rope...
as variant \imitation knot on the pendant could be made from other piece of thread of the same size... making a simple knot, applied it at the end of the pendant+SA gel+nail cutter\for fast clean cut running ends of the thread + tweezers for proper forming imitation of this knot(need to do it while it is still wet with CA gel-to give knot oval shape), than seizing need to be made on the end of the pendant above this knot ... ( Guterman skala or similar thin thread is very handy for making imitation of seizing, or ordinary synthetic thin thread need to be undone in three strands and one of them could be used for imitation of seizing or splicing of the rope )

View attachment 313685

View attachment 313686

View attachment 313688

View attachment 313689

View attachment 313690

View attachment 313691

View attachment 313692
Thanks Kirill. I did not believe a wall and crown (or similar) would be visible other than under camera magnification. I should have built at 1:10!

Very nice Paul. I doubt whether the actual Vasa sails were as clean and tidy as yours are. Good luck with the rigging and sail bending, I'm sure it will turn out very well indeed Thumbsup
Mark, I have been thinking about the color of my sails as well. Vasa's sails were fresh off the sailmaker's work table (new sails were made for her - they were not recycled from another ship) so they would have looked better than they might have in a year (if she had survived more than an hour or two). My ship has absolutely no 'weathering' so I am of the mind that properly weathered sails would look out of place?

Back