Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

By the way there are more a few specific knots commonly used in vessel rigging/used in buntlines,clewlines, bowlines for example, which are very interesting looks on the model, when they performed...( all not for our wifes or non modelling friends eyes!)
Now I'm scared! I just reviewed my resources and I have little to no information on knot tying. Is there a period correct simple guide?

but it comes down to time and skill of the builder to implement it otherwise you end up like me paralyzed with fear to continue and making all these mistakes because of incorrect research
This is a legitimate thing you are describing here Richie.

From a newcomer's perspective (going to get a bit philosophical here so hold on!) there are some difficulties that are sometimes overlooked: namely, the differences between English and Continental rigging (and the regional variations) further complicated by changes over time within each of these categories. What happens (I say this with the utmost respect) is a form of syncretism and modelers end up using techniques from other regions or other eras and then end up doing things wrong. Not only are newcomers led astray by what we see on other builds - but even respected resources can be misunderstood or misapplied. For example, one has to read Anderson very carefully - he moves across regions and eras rather fluidly. Second example: Mondfeld (whose pictures are way more precise/helpful than Anderson) is wrong for every ten times he is right (and favors English construction vs foreign). Now, throw on top of that the well-intentioned dogmatism of our colleagues and the whole thing can be paralyzing :confused: .

Sorry Paul for giving my input on this matter, but I too could not resist responding.
Thanks Stephan. Your comments are helpful to all of us. One of the really nice things about this forum (that causes it to stand out) is that maintaining a helpful 'tone' is valued and defended. I was on a leading international forum learning about fabricating sails and I must say I felt bad at times for some of those who were posting their work. Perhaps it was google translate, perhaps it was cultural, but I would not have dared present any of my work on that forum. Perhaps that level of interaction is appropriate (even necessary) at the highest levels - but I personally found it unattractive.

I have always tried to be careful when posting but suspect at times my words have been hurtful or misunderstood. In the end I can only hope people will choose to read my posts charitably.

As this forum is primarily English speaking those of us who use that language best should be likewise charitable (if some of you knew the way some of your posts came across you would probably be horrified ROTF). It falls to those of us most comfortable with English to 'read between the lines' looking for intent over language.

As this forum is primarily English speaking those of us who use that language best should be likewise charitable (if some of you knew the way some of your posts came across you would probably be horrified ROTF). It falls to those of us most comfortable with English to 'read between the lines' looking for intent over language.
100% correct Paul.
Translation issues not withstanding, what I hate with the written word over the spoken word is the lack of inflections you have with the spoken word. Also, I tend to take everything too personal rather then as a general comment. That’s what happens when you get old and cranky.

100% correct Paul.
Translation issues not withstanding, what I hate with the written word over the spoken word is the lack of inflections you have with the spoken word. Also, I tend to take everything too personal rather then as a general comment. That’s what happens when you get old and cranky.
What are you saying Ron? That I'm taking this all too personally! That I'm old and cranky! ROTF ROTF ROTF.

Well, I guess that pretty much illustrates the point :D. Charity!

I think... but need to check... if Im not mistaken, there is information about various aspects of rigging ...very value book -" Seamanship in the age of sail" ... this is realy fantastic book, enciclopedia! ... if You don't have - diwnload it, will never sorrow

s1.jpg

Last edited:
I think... but need to check... if Im not mistaken, there is information about various aspects of rigging ...very value book -" Seamanship in the age of sail" ... this is realy fantastic book, enciclopedia! ... if You don't have - diwnload it, will never sorrow

View attachment 314010
Found it reasonably priced. Ordered.

This is a legitimate thing you are describing here Richie.

From a newcomer's perspective (going to get a bit philosophical here so hold on!) there are some difficulties that are sometimes overlooked: namely, the differences between English and Continental rigging (and the regional variations) further complicated by changes over time within each of these categories. What happens (I say this with the utmost respect) is a form of syncretism and modelers end up using techniques from other regions or other eras and then end up doing things wrong. Not only are newcomers led astray by what we see on other builds - but even respected resources can be misunderstood or misapplied. For example, one has to read Anderson very carefully - he moves across regions and eras rather fluidly. Second example: Mondfeld (whose pictures are way more precise/helpful than Anderson) is wrong for every ten times he is right (and favors English construction vs foreign). Now, throw on top of that the well-intentioned dogmatism of our colleagues and the whole thing can be paralyzing :confused: .
Yikes I have no chance getting it right, maybe it's pick a side and run with it.
I am finding the Anderson book with it's tiny drawings a tough one to grasp fully and I had no idea on Monfeld.

Regarding some of the translation comments if I use google translate on a Russian modeling site reading the comments can be very comical at times, pretty sure it wasn't how it was meant to be in the native language so I can see how using it in reverse could have similar unintended effects.

Hi Paul, wow I'm just catching up from the 9th of this month. I just love the stimulating discussions your log is famous for; these discussions actually help me better define my intents and purposes in this hobby. There is a knowledge base here that is second to none and I for one feel privileged to be involved in it. I'm so glad you're feeling better and looking forward to your interpretation of sail placement. Also thank you for your advice with my sails as this area has issued me the greatest challenge (learning to sew) which also by the way has generated a good amount of fun humor from my admiral. :)

Paul,
I could not agree with you more. Effective communication can certainly take a hit when translating languages. I find myself reading my posts 3 or 4 times to ensure what I type is what I intend to convey. Sometimes our own insecurities read something in a post's text that really isn't there. I'm sure this is the reason many modelers choose not to share their work with the community, which I understand completely.

I own a very dry sense of humor, which does not always translate into text well. I'm thankful for emojis to help add inflection to the typed content. But even then I have to study the emoji to make sure I'm selecting the one that conveys the intonation I intend to share.

I don't remember communicating with others being so challenging. Just another sign I'm aging. I used to laugh at some of the things my Grandfather used to say. Now I find myself saying the same things!! What is happening to me?!?

We lost our Mom last month, but I clearly remember the words she imparted to us at a very early age. "Treat others like you would like to be treated." Her version of the "Do unto others..." I try to follow her creed.

I think the SoS community does a great job making everyone comfortable.

Cheers,
Ken

Back