Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

20220215_140310.jpg
Interresting details is the leechlines, the blocks are attached to the rope of the lift on the yard.

Interresting details is the leechlines, the blocks are attached to the rope of the lift on the yard.
These grisailles are so extremely detailed and Van de Velde being a son of an inland water way sailing family was very well informed about all these tiny details.
I didn't notice the leech line blocks but indeed very well noted and interesting detail.
20220215_140310.jpg

These grisailles are so extremely detailed and Van de Velde being a son of an inland water way sailing family was very well informed about all these tiny details.
I didn't notice the leech line blocks but indeed very well noted and interesting detail.
View attachment 315540
Just to avoid anyone getting confused, the line which those leech blocks are attached to that hauls up the yardarm is not a lift line, it’s a tie. The lift lines support the outer ends of the yard, and go from there to blocks tied to either below the top or on the masthead, depending on the ship’s nationality, then run down to the deck to belaying points.

Hi Paul,

Great work again as always and very informative discussion.
I have digged into my Van de Velde pictures for the robands and found this detailed one showing around 3 robands per sail cloth.
View attachment 315526

About the seaman in the yards definately no foot ropes, and this is half way the 17th century.
View attachment 315527
What I noted was one gasket per 2 or 3 sail clothes...

I thought the two ties went over the cap and didn’t meet till the triple block of the halyard. This looks like the ties join to a single line and must go through a sheave in the mast.
Oooh! You're getting smart Vic! There are two ties on the yards for the course sails only (main sail and fore sail). While you are correct that most Dutch built ships ran those ties over the mast cap, on the Vasa they run through sheaves mounted on the side of the mast below the trees.

On the topmasts and top gallants there is a single tie, and it passes through a sheave in the mast.

Back