Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

Well done Paul!! I am not a drinker, but i will make a fresh cup of Nescafe Gold to celebrate with you in your achievement! I remember well the feeling of the accomplishment that one feels when such a gig ship is planked - and not only planked - but expertly planked! Now you can go into the rest of the build with all the confidence in the world! Well done again!

Thanks Eric, Maarten and Knut. A battle won but the war remains! It's hard to decide what to tackle next: detailing the hull? decking? painting more metal bits?

Regarding the hull. I have to add some nails as they are such a prominent feature of the ship. But is it better to include a representative sample or go all in? Plus, I tried my hand at tree nails (the real ship has both tree nails and iron nails) and I like how they turned out but I was left unconvinced. I'm not sure that the scale justifies the effort. They would need to be quite small to avoid looking cartoonish.

@Dean62 pointed out the simple truth that once I start including tree nails it's hard to walk that decision back...

Thoughts anyone?

Excellent job!! I am still awaiting the arrival of my Vasa model...If mine turns out half as good as yours, I would be proud!

Here are some links to build logs to inspire you if you haven't seen them:
Corel Vasa - bashed | Ships of Scale
Corel Wasa | Ships of Scale
Wasa, a Swedish Galeon 1628 | Ships of Scale
And from another site (hope it's OK to share this link here???): Forums / POB Build Logs / Corel Vasa in 1/75 - Model Ship Builder
Consider posting a build log yourself - I want to cheer you on! The Vasa is an awesome ship!
Thank you for the links! I am not sure I will have the time to post a build log...but then again this is supposed to be my retirement build! I know I will be relying on all the expert builder on this site to assist me when I am in trouble!

I started to place the clinker planking that veneers the upper portion of ship and the thought occurred to me that I had not posted pictures of my progress recently.

When last we spoke I was celebrating the fitting of the whiskey plank. Since then I sanded the second layer of planking (damaging several of the surprisingly thin veneer pieces :confused: necessitating some remedial work as a reward for my carelessness). For the record, this is the second time I caused damage while sanding. Slow learner...

I then applied two coats of polymerized (boiled) linseed oil with a light "sanding" using 0000 steel wool before and after each application. If you were unaware...magic happens when oil hits pear wood:

IMG_5903 (2).JPG

IMG_5907 (2).JPG

She has lovely lines...

IMG_5906 (2).JPG

IMG_5909 (2).JPG

By the way, scarf joints are all fun and games until you realize that sanding fills them all in and you need to go back and individually clean them out!

IMG_5905.JPG

Why aren't the wales installed? I have been waiting for a shipment from Russia for 5 weeks now...

Next up: continue the clinker planking and see how she looks with a red collar!

Thanks for visiting my build log!

Hi Paul!

Your model looks excellent! Try as little as possible to bring any oil on the fuselage! Otherwise you will have difficulties to glue other woods. Linseed oil and other oils harden and you can glue wood to wood again after months or years. The oil, as nice as its looks, is a final treatment after the gluing!!! Otherwise, the only thing left to do, like the old ship modelers of the last centuries, is nailing:

With best regards
Thomas

I started to place the clinker planking that veneers the upper portion of ship and the thought occurred to me that I had not posted pictures of my progress recently.

When last we spoke I was celebrating the fitting of the whiskey plank. Since then I sanded the second layer of planking (damaging several of the surprisingly thin veneer pieces :confused: necessitating some remedial work as a reward for my carelessness). For the record, this is the second time I caused damage while sanding. Slow learner...

I then applied two coats of polymerized (boiled) linseed oil with a light "sanding" using 0000 steel wool before and after each application. If you were unaware...magic happens when oil hits pear wood:

View attachment 201539

View attachment 201542

She has lovely lines...

View attachment 201541

View attachment 201543

By the way, scarf joints are all fun and games until you realize that sanding fills them all in and you need to go back and individually clean them out!

View attachment 201540

Why aren't the wales installed? I have been waiting for a shipment from Russia for 5 weeks now...

Next up: continue the clinker planking and see how she looks with a red collar!

Thanks for visiting my build log!
Looking awesome Paul!

Hi Paul!

Your model looks excellent! Try as little as possible to bring any oil on the fuselage! Otherwise you will have difficulties to glue other woods. Linseed oil and other oils harden and you can glue wood to wood again after months or years. The oil, as nice as its looks, is a final treatment after the gluing!!! Otherwise, the only thing left to do, like the old ship modelers of the last centuries, is nailing:

With best regards
Thomas
No!!!! I hate being a rookie!!!!

Back