Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

Just had a look on your work. Very careful and precise! Well done to you too sir. Looking forward to see her progressing.
Christos

If I may Paul: A small "greek lesson". If Christos is named after Saint Christos the gardener its written Χρήστος meaning "useful", but if someone is named after Jesus Christ then its written Χρίστος.Meaning the named one, the choosen one. Τhat is an "ι" instead of an "η". My name is written Χρίστος.

Last edited:
If I may Paul: A small "greek lesson". If Christos is named after Saint Christos the gardener its written Χρήστος meaning "useful", but if someone is named after Jesus Christ then its written Χρίστος.Meaning the named one, the choosen one. Τhat is an "ι" instead of an "η"
Wonderful! Thank you for the lesson. I'm better at biblical greek (reading it) than I am at modern greek so I should have gotten that right!

Hello Friends,

So, before you scroll down and look at the third iteration of the lower portion of my hull I humbly beg for mercy. Without re-planking it was not really possible to walk back all the damage done getting to this point in the build.

What I have learned:

1. The veneer layer cannot take much sanding - I did too much and some of the veneer pieces are very thin making them prone to damage.
2. Research what you are doing before you do it. I did look at many (many!) build logs of the Vasa - even a few that included scarf joints. And I began with the assumption that what I saw others doing was historically accurate. Of course, that was a poor assumption on my part. I don't say that to be critical of other model builders. Different builders have different goals and it was a mistake for me to assume certain things about what I was looking at.
3. As a new builder I cannot do what more skilled builders can do. Skills are built on the scorching fires of experience and I am making mistakes faster than I am learning the skills. That won't prevent me from pressing on, but I will need to reset my expectations.

So, without further comment. The nails/bolts have been removed - the black inked holes have been drilled through - and treenails have been placed at the scarf joints.

View attachment 204408

View attachment 204410

View attachment 204413

View attachment 204412

This has really been an interesting journey. Thanks for joining me on it!
Once I start my Wasa, If I could get my hull half as good as yours, I would be thrilled!!!

Once I start my Wasa, If I could get my hull half as good as yours, I would be thrilled!!!
Thank you for the kind comment @Eyedent. For me it took a willingness to rework things that took hours (to do wrong in the first place...). If you can pick up any pearls from my story and can avoid the re-do thing this forum will have served a valuable purpose. I hope you will post a build-log. I would love to cheer you on! I'm not aware of any Vasa's under construction right now and I would love a build-buddy!

Back